FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overwhelmed

jack85
Community Member

Hi there,

Never discussed out loud my experiences with mental health issues but here goes. Ive been struggling with feelings of depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember but just kept a lid on it and never sought out help. I can feel really low and miserable (with feelings of guilt for anything I do) with no motivation to do anything while at the same time sweating bullets and stressing about everything, my mind also goes to the worst case scenario all the time no matter how outlandish it is I convince myself it’s going to end up that way. It’s exhausting and kinda feels like my brain is being dragged in two different directions.

The last year or so these feelings have been overwhelming and becoming more difficult to control and keep on top of. I work 3 jobs and been doing 60+ hours a week. Admittedly this year has been a bit hectic with family medical emergencies and a relationship breakup. So working as much as I have with everything going on has taken its toll and left me completely burnt out.

I work as a Group Fitness Instructor a few times a week and am also a full time personal trainer which is my dream job and something I absolutely love. I also work full time supervising a bar most nights of the week to bring in some cash while I build my PT business. This job I absolutely hate; the hours are hectic and long, patrons are difficult and horrible to deal with and most of the staff and management are just unpleasant to deal with. It makes me miserable and leaves me exhausted as I work long hours into the night and usually only get 2-3 hours sleep a night.

I’ve taken few days off from the bar and starting to feel a little better as I can focus on my PT role which makes me much happier. I’m thinking about resigning from the bar which has triggered my feelings of anxiety as I just don’t want to deal with them anymore and their inevitable displeased reaction when I tell them I’m done and I want to leave. I know it’s jyst going to be a lot of drama I don’t want to deal with when I talk to them.

just starting to feel like everything is just a bit much and need a break.

4 Replies 4

Terry73
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Jack,

It seems as if the bar work is really getting to you, and seems to have a very negative impact on you, add in the fact you are working so much, means you do have little time to sort things out for yourself.

From what you have said, it seems very obvious to me that you should change career paths (the bar work I mean) and look for something a little less toxic to yourself, maybe something with a little less hours. The down side is there is a good possibility the finances will take a bit of a hit as well, but if you arent happy in what you doing then whats worth more to you, your sanity or your finance?

You probably already knew that and have worked that all out, but as for leaving the work, regardless if you do that now or later, you will still face the same issues you are worrying about, but those feelings wont last. I would suggest getting other work lined up before leaving though, if the PT/GFI work isnt enough to support you, as being in work, helps give you a better chance to get other work that is more suitable to your needs.

Another option is to just take a break from work (if your finances can hold), a decent break, to refresh your mind better, it would also give you more time to focus on the work you want to do as well. Refreshing your mind will help you see clearer as well, and help you to work out a solution best for you, at very least, it will stop you getting burnt out.

I hope all this helped, this is purely my view however and I am no expert, but my advice is there for you anyway

Terry

Jean14
Community Member

Hi

You are definitely a worker! Are you scared if you quit the bar you will isolate yourself?

Sarah

jack85
Community Member

Hi terry,

tHanks a lot for your post. Helped a lot to read and kind of confirmed some things I was thinking and struggling with 😊

jack85
Community Member

Hi jean14,

not really concerned about being isolated. It’s more the stress of dealing with these employers and going through resigning. It may be my anxiety but I’m imagining the worse case scenario and just a very stressful time and feel they are going make things difficult for me. I am a casual so I can leave right away but just feel it’s not going to be easy with them.