FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

OCD/Depression sufferer with weight issues.

Nebula
Community Member

I am a longtime sufferer of OCD and severe depression (almost in my mid 30s now). I have been on so many different medicines that I can barely remember them all.

I have gained a massive amount of weight since my initial breakdown over 12 years ago. I am now about 150kg at 180cm tall, which is morbidly obese. When I started medication all that time ago I was 70kg. My diet over the years has certainly degraded as have my activity levels, which has also contributed to my current state.

I have gained some level of control over the ritualistic behavior associated with my illness but have never really been able to stop the intrusive thoughts. The last few years I actually feel that depression is taking more of a toll on me than the OCD and that this depression itself largely stems from feeling like I am, for want of a better word, grotesque. I really have no self-confidence and am very worried about how people perceive me because of the way I look. I often get the sense that people are looking at me with disdain.

I feel that I am reaching a critical juncture with my weight and depression at the moment, as with a strong family history of diabetes and heart disease I am pretty much skating on thin ice health-wise. I want to do something about all this and reclaim my life, but don't really have much motivation and even less energy.

I see a psychologist who is also overweight and maybe because of this he never seems to take my weight issues seriously. I need a plan of action, some advice or guidance to tackle this obesity problem, but he doesn't seem to get this and usually changes the subject or makes light of it. I am seriously considering changing to someone else, although my GP and and psychiatrist seem to think this guy is great.

Has anybody else had similar problems and managed to address them in a positive way? I have all the good intentions in the world, but they really don't get me very far. I am due to meet with my psychiatrist again soon and was thinking of asking for alternative medicine options, but am worried if I change again I will stack on more weight as always seems to happen. Are there any medicines for my illness that would even have weight loss as a side effect?

I get so confused as to what I should do and feel like I have very little guidance. If anyone has any advice about this I would love to hear it 🙂

2 Replies 2

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hiya and welcome to beyond blue.

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. It sounds like you have been working on beating it for a long time- doing all the right things, seeing a psychologist, doctor and psychiatrist, and trying what sounds like several medications.

its really unfortunate you have not yet found a treatment that works for you, and even you suspect some weight issues from the tablets.

I would highly encourage you to find medical practitioners who respect your opinion and your feelings. they might be excellent doctors, or psychologists, but if they arent respecting your feelings than it might be worth moving on. sometimes even they work for awhile, but as we grow and change as people we need different people with different opinions.

I had a psychologst for 2 years who was lovely but found she just wasnt working as my needs changed, i got a new one with different ideas and it was one of the best decisions i ever made. i also found a new doctor who respected my opinion when i said "this medication has made me gain 15 kg, i need a different one".
medications affect each person differently, but there are a few antidepressants who are more notorious for causing either weight gain or excess appetite that leads to weight gain. also if the antidepressant isnt helping your depression, than the depression itself leads you to eat bad foods to try to 'comfort" yourself...

So i think you need a fresh perspective- its up to you whether you want to change just the psychologist, or the doctor or psychiatrist as well. Changing to another doctor in the same clinic might be a good idea, as they'll have all your records already and you wont have to switch them over.

Also as you mention, alternative medicine can be good in addition. A naturopath could really help you sort out a diet

There really aren't natural herbs to combat severe depression- natural herbs would be more aimed at helping you lose weight and all that.

i know "exercise" is the obvious one- maybe you feel too embaressed to join a gym, or maybe you just havent got the energy. Maybe think outside the box a bit- I do Crossfit and we have all body shapes and sizes in our gym. Whats more important is that you find something you genuinely enjoy- its that much easier to actually go if it doesnt feel like a chore. Maybe a group sport? something with other people so you get some social time?

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Nebula

Thank you for providing your post and I’d also like to welcome you to Beyond Blue.

It’s great that Beltane has provided a great response to you already and I find that Beltane is awesome with the advice provided.

You’ve reached out for professional help already (I believe mostly for your depression) and that shows that you do have the motivation and courage TO reach out and seek help.  I’m sensing now that you are at the same kind of crossroads in your life that you are willing to do the same to try and work on reducing your weight.  You say you want to reclaim your life and do something about all this, which is fantastic.

What we need now is for this to become a commitment on your behalf.  We need to somehow find a way to create the enthusiasm and motivation for you to break this cycle that you’re in and to create a new way of living.

So if you’re up for it, a change is needed;  but what first?   Even though your current GP and psyches who are all ‘great’, it might be a time for a change of treating professionals;  especially if it seems they haven’t been overly concerned about your weight in the past.  On this site, Beyond Blue have a list of GP’s all very experienced in dealing with mental health issues and more;   and from them seeing you, they would be best placed to refer you on to an appropriate psychologist or counsellor or perhaps even a treating dietician.

One last thing I’d like to mention is the exercise side of things – I would be mentioning this to your GP and asking them just to give you a good ‘once-over’ (like a bit of a grease and oil change) so that they can give you the ‘heads up’ to pursue certain activities.

I’ll send this off now and do hope to hear back from you.

Neil