FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to this and worried

Freoman
Community Member

Hi , just wondering if its just me or anxiety. I suffer from occasional Atrial Fibrillation (AF) and have some heart artery blockages but not enough to warrant intervention as yet.

I live alone and work in Victoria with all my family in WA. I constantly worry about my health to the point of hypochondria. I constantly google symptoms and am concerned about having a heart attack and that I wont see my family again. I sit and worry about finances to ensure I have money to leave my children

I have symptoms such as muscle pains, light-headedness, occasional dizziness, tight chest, nausea, burping consistently, bloating, stomach cramps (a friend suggested I have nervous stomach!!) but overall a general desire not to do much at all. If I plan to go out I worry that my AF will come back and I wont be able to go

I see an osteo who loosens my muscles and I feel better in that regard for a day or two after. My cardiologist puts down my chest pains as muscular and not heart related. I have undergone an ablation which seems to have fixed the AF (I hope). But yet I still google every twinge and ache since the op.

I do know that if I make an effort to go out and enjoy myself , I feel good and think , I don't feel light headed or sore and once I do that the symptoms start to come back.

I smoke as a way of easing what I think is anxiety but want and need to give up. The thing is my health is on my mind as soon as I wake up until I go to bed. I am not enjoying things at all. I am putting off planning a trip to Europe next year with friends as I don't think my health will allow it.

Any advice or similar experiences would be welcome.

5 Replies 5

Guest_820
Community Member
Sorry to hear you're having a such a difficult time with your issues. No you're not alone in feeling that way. Read your post several times + the only only suggestion that comes to mind is by trying not to read what's on Google for medical advice. Nothing wrong with Google but when it comes to those types of issues it can anyone always think tbe worst. Most of those issues you describe need to be addressed by a good reputable medical Dr who's registered by the Australian Medical Board where you will get the correct info. Anyone can write anything on Google + claim to be a legal medical advisor. Beware. There are no laws on the global Internet.

baet123
Community Member

Hi Freoman,

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear you are feeling so anxious and are having a few health problems. I think it is great that you are seeing many health professionals and voicing your concerns to them. It looks to me that you may be suffering from health anxiety. Many people who have health anxiety experience many of the symptoms you are experiencing however your anxiety is absolutely valid because you have genuine concerns about your health.

I recommend you see your GP and get some further tests done for piece of mind. It may even be worth seeing your GP and then being referred to a psychiatrist to possibly explore and treat your health anxiety and your health concerns. Medicine (antidepressants) may help with that too.

Try not to google your symptoms. Will just make you feel even worse. Try to focus on just having fun and distracting your mind through listening to music, binge watching tv series, games, cooking etc. Please see your GP and talk about your concerns. Book a longer appointment so your not rushed and right all your concerns and symptoms down so you know what to say to your GP.

Please keep us posted.

Hope this helped.

Stay positive!

All the best,

Nick.

Freoman
Community Member

Thanks Nick and Chikkenlegs, appreciate the support. I forgot to mention that I check my pulse and blood pressure about 15 times per day so I know I am getting compulsive over this. And the Cardiologist has told me to stop doing it !!

Having the worst day for a while today, constant dizziness, nausea, neck, shoulder, back and chest pains, Im kinda figuring its been brought on by my constant thoughts about it and expressing it all on here.

Just had a gentle back massage and it relieved symptoms for a short while. I did see GP who prescribed anti anxiety medication but then I read that it can cause Heart rythmn irregularities (again on Google) so I didn't get the meds.

May bite the bullet and get them.

Wanted to clarify about the dizziness, its not like the room is spinning or I will faint or anything, its just like a constant light headed fuzzy feeling.

Thanks again for the support

Hello

Read that you're having the worst day for while + experiencing many unpleasant symptoms.

Most likely it's caused from by expressing youself to others for some support + encouragement.

Not an easy thing to do to talk with others about your issues.

You've actually came out from your own comfort zone by letting others know.

Well done!

As for reading at Dr Google again, perhaps if you have access to a local library which caters for geniune well researched medical books which can be read in a quiet peaceful area about your concerns.

It's always wise to find out as much as can about your illnesses + other medical things so you can understand it much better.

However, after gaining that knowledge, you still need to have a professional Dr who can help you with his expertise.

Don't self analyze - leave that to the professionals.

Regards,

CL

baet123
Community Member

Hi Freo,

I know from my own experience its hard to stop googling everything or worrying about your health all the time when you have health anxiety but it is great that you are aware of what you are doing so now just try and work on it I guess. Sometimes we just have to trust our health professionals you know? I think taking the anti anxiety medication would be a good idea as long as your cardiologist gives the all clear. Please ensure your cardiologist consults with your GP to make sure that it doesn't have negative effects on your cardiac health.

Light headed/fuzzy feelings is extremely common symptom of health anxiety so I wouldn't stress about.

Keep us posted and enjoy your weekend.

All the best,

Nick.