FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

new here. need advice. anxiety/ panic attack journey

susiem
Community Member

Have been searching the net and thank goodness found beyond blue site. I am a 50 year old lady. Had severe anxiety attacks and used meds to help me through in my late 20's and early 30's. Decided back then to learn about this horrible condition.So I read books and talked to trusted people and over a couple of years (which at the time felt like forever) I came through it. At my worst I remember being in such a state that I couldn't remember how to drive and I was driving at the time! I couldn't remember what to do when I got to an intersection. I remember heaving when I tried to eat, climbing under the covers and crying because I didn't know what was wrong with me and my then Dr not being any help at all. My worst came when I was lying next to my husband in bed and told him I was going to die that night and he would have to raise our 2 girls on his own. Even though he didn't understand he tried. That was the night I promised myself that I had to help me. It wasn't easy. Far from it. My best motivation was our girls. I had to get up and get them to school. I slowly started to do things that I had been avoiding. I read and with a supportive Dr and meds found my way back.

Now roll forward nearly 20 years later and 'IT' HAS RETURNED!!!!!!! I had a HUGE panic attack when I was overseas in September last year. I thought I was going to faint and to say the waves of ??? that were going through my body was unpleasant is an understatement.For days afterwards I would  felt anxious and somehow get myself through, holding my now husband of 29 years hand. Since then I have been to my Dr twice. These feelings are awful. She thinks they are hormonal based due to my age and offered to put my on HRT. I said no thank you at this stage. My 2nd visit she gave me a med to take which gave me the a HUGE attack and I vowed I won't take them again.

The thing is I can go weeks and be okay and then WHAM like today had such bad anxiety.Where I had such overwhelming waves of I guess adrenalin going through my body. Felt panicky but I wasn't doing anything to cause it. These are the ones that scare me the most as I don't know what is causing them so I start to think something else more sinister is happening.

I know I can do this with no meds. I have done it before. I just need some advice, support and guidance from you lovely people.

Sorry for my long post. Thank you for any help. Susie

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Susie, I am just wondering whether this panic attack happened when you were overseas because you were away from your girls, or you were home sick, that's why I don't travel because I do get homesick, and even if I am in melbourne I want to get home as soon as possible. L Geoff. x

RussS
Community Member

Hey SusieM, I also have this issue, I can never find the trigger of what causes me to panic to the point of hospitalisation.  I admire that you don't medicate, unfortunately I do, prior and during times I consider I may be at risk.  Times like elevators, crowded areas, special events.  I feel helpless to give advice as I have been searching for an answer for over 20 years.  One thought is to remember, I know I feel uncomfortable but it wont kill me.  It woill pass and importantly, try to disrupt the thought process.  Even though it fails me to do this a lot, it helps.  Best wishes for a non panic future.

Russ

MickeyM
Community Member

Hi Susiem

im new too. I had anxiety last night...and experienced this wave you wrote about. It was truly frightening. Especially as I've also had panic attacks and part of my anxiety is my kids not being able to wake me. 

ive made some lifestyle changes such as more excercise, meditation/visualization, avoiding caffeine etc. my doc prescribed something for me to take ad hoc when required. So far I have needed to take any, but even having them is kind of reassuring, although I worry about any side effects.

Its frustrating!