FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication for anxiety, what was your experience?

Alotgoingon
Community Member
Hi All, I am a mum of a toddler and have had issues with anxiety for as long as I can remember, but recently they have started to get worse (over the past 5 months or so). Some days I feel wonderful and other days I wake up feeling nauseous and jittery, it is really inconsistent. I have a great psychologist but my Dr recently spoke to me about using medication to balance what he thinks is a hereditary chemical imbalance in my brain which is causing the anxiety. I have read about the side effects and they scare me to be honest. I am healthy, I regularly practice meditation and breathwork and am seeing a psychologist which all help in the short term but I am still finding myself in an anxious state throughout the day. Has anyone used medication for a similar issue and noticed an improvement? Just looking for people who have been where I am & have found medication to be useful. I have never been medicated for my anxiety but I'd love to start feeling better!
13 Replies 13

Hello! Nice to hear from you 🙂 hmm what you've said is interesting as my Dr definitely said he thought it was a chemical imbalance. I guess they can't really test for it. But I'm managing the anxiety through psychology and other lifestyle changes at the moment. Thanks so much for sharing with me 🙂

PS- raising a toddler is wonderful and exhausting at the same time. We are actually in isolation at the moment due to Covid and apart from being sick which sucks, I am really enjoying this slow time with my daughter and it is making me want to do less and just spend more time with her. It's also making me realise that maybe I was doing way too much which is why I was feeling so anxious

Hi alotgoingon,

It is an outdated idea, that there is a chemical imbalance and found to be untrue.

If you google chemical imbalance myth there's a lot of literature

That's not to see medication can't help ppl sometimes but the idea that it balances the brain....it doesn't

I take medication for sleep and see it as safest for me in the short term, when Im really struggling.

I have tried longer term medication but I didn't feel any different

Ppl can try different things for therapy...my friend paints murals...I am open to all different methods as meds didn't help me.

Hope u are well and thank you for writing!

Hi Alotgoingon

You very kind for replying to everyone....not that we expect a response yet thankyou 🙂 You are a wonderful mum caring for yourself and your daughter as well as you are!

You are also very proactive with your health and good on you!

In a nutshell.....(this is only my humble opinion through my experience)....If a persons anxiety begins have a detrimental impact on their ability to function effectively on a day to day basis meds can provide an excellent foundation on which we can heal in conjunction with super regular support from our doc.

Just a quick note...your doc was accurate where the chemical imbalance was concerned.

I hope you are having a good week

my kind thoughts

Paul