FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost and need help - My child’s anxiety is increasing

MindfulWorrior
Community Member

Hi everyone my child has shown anxiety type symptoms since our family decided to relocate from the country and family to the city for better schooling opportunities.

Started with not wanting to move and then not attending school or sport after school. OCD has started with washing hands after any use of hands and asking if everything will be okay every five minutes.

Always worried about death and any feelings, pains, niggles or actions could cause death. Feels dizzy all the time during the day and constantly says there are pains in the knees and chest.

I have engaged GP, psychologist and kinesiologist and used typical meditation apps. The symptoms come and go in waves but seem to have gone to a new level and are disrupting school, sport and sleep.

I haven’t mentioned it all or the worst of it, but wife and I are feeling lost, tired and not sure what to do from this point on. Appreciate some feedback on what to do and not what to say......

2 Replies 2

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Dear Mindful Warrior,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forum. I am sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time with your child and what sounds like a really challenging level of anxiety. This is really hard. Anxiety is a really common concern for parents. It sounds like you are taking some great steps towards getting support for your child through a GP, Psychology etc. I wonder if your school is on board with the treatment plan that you have established with your health care team for your child? I also wonder if you have taken some steps to get support for yourselves as parents.

When a child is struggling, it can be extremely stressful and you often feel helpless. Through this stressful time I often find that parents and carers aren't giving themselves the support they need. Dealing with illnesses like anxiety and depression can take time and persistence to heal. Being constantly vigilant and on guard for any developing signs and symptoms in your child can be truly exhausting. I encourage you to take steps towards getting support for you and with this support you may be able to discuss how to best approach your child's anxiety. This support might come in the form of a counsellor or a psychologist.

There are some online resources available to you that you might find helpful. They are designed for children and teenagers in the treatment of anxiety. One free program is called BRAVE. By engaging in this program, even for yourself, you can learn ways in which anxiety is suggested to be managed. I have attached a Beyond Blue link as well as a link to the program.

https://healthyfamilies.beyondblue.org.au/age-6-12/mental-health-conditions-in-children/anxiety/strategies-to-support-anxious-children

http://www.brave-online.com/about-brave-online-program/

If you ever are in a situation where you feel like you need some support outside of sessions with your health care team, don't hesitate to ring the Kids Help Line where you can discuss the concerns you are having. Sometimes just having a conversation about things can really help in that moment. I have attached the link and the number for your convenience. Phone anytime of day: 1800 55 1800 or visit the website https://kidshelpline.com.au/parents

Wishing you the best possible outcome,

Nurse Jenn

Thanks Jenn, I will give the recommendations a go!

The new school is very unique and doesn’t follow traditional techniques of teaching, they have been very accomodating but are also struggling with the anxiety and constant repeat loop that my child is on.

The fear of death is playing such a big part in her life. I believe that the consecutive loss of grandparents and other close friends over a five year period may have cemented the fear into her mind set!