FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Isolation Anxiety

Jamber2000
Community Member

Hey everyone, I've been wracking my brain for a few weeks now trying to work out where to go and what to talk about. I've never really been one to have many issues or qualms about anything in my life but recently I've been feeling an overwhelming sadness associated with being isolated or alone. Being quite a social person in the past, I'd never realised how much other people influenced my mental state and now that I've tried to become a bit more of an independent person, I've found myself constantly upset and on the verge of crying. I feel really alone.

I'm not sure if this is just a phase that I'm going through or if I'm having legitimate problems that need help with and I'd like to know if this is a common thing that people just go through or if i need serious intervention. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jamber, and a warm welcome to the forums.

The trouble with the feeling that you're alone, can even happen when you're in a social occasion but when you're by yourself and feel this way for a longish period of time means a visit to your doctor.

I'm sorry that you are upset and on the verge of crying, but I know exactly how you are feeling as I've been in the same position and it's most unpleasant.

We can't be sure at different times why this may happen or there could be some reason, so to answer your question ' if I need serious intervention', please book an appointment with your doctor.

I can't diagnose you, but for me I was suffering from depression caused by different circumstances beyond my control.

Please get back to us when you are able to.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Here_I_am
Community Member

Hi Jamber2000,

Loneliness is a real issue for a lot of people around the world today, so you're definitely not alone in feeling the effects of a lack of connectedness.

It sounds like their has been a change in your life that maybe brought on a change in circumstance that has lead to these factors that make you feel less socially active. You mention you have tried to become a bit more of an independent person, and that this has led you somewhere unpleasant. There is every possibility that big changes in life can really impact us in ways that take time to make sense of, and I'm wondering if there has been any possible changes in your life that could explain why you're feeling differently about things?

Whether it's a phase or a legitimate problem, I want to encourage you toward reaching out and speaking with someone in person. The value in approaching a GP or a counsellor and talking through what we're feeling is one that is rarely recognised until after we've done it! Is this something you feel you could do? Of course, the forum is always available for support and it would be great if you stayed connected here too; whilst nobody will diagnose or 'treat' anyone here, it is a great space to just speak plainly about what is going on without judgement or repercussion.

You're far from alone. I myself don't have any real 'friends' that I could really talk to any more, and I used to be a very social and popular cat! 🙂 Feeling isolated or socially alone (lonely) is a horrible feeling, and certainly one worth talking about.

Keep us in the loop on how you're getting along. I hope you find someone with whom you can reach out and speak more in depth with about what's going on for you.

Talk soon.