FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I get through school as a teen with ADHD, OCD, anxiety, sensory issues, and depression?

Hi, I am 14 in year 9 and live in Australia. I am a high achiever, I get good grades, am house captain, and get some academic awards. so most people think I am fine but I am not. I have panic attacks every day and always feel like my mind is a black hole of empty nothingness that will never be good enough. I am pretty good at faking a smile and only crying when I am alone but sometimes I just can't and people always judge me. School takes up so much of my energy that I am usually stuck in bed for the rest of the day as soon as I get home because it is too hard to get up. whenever I tell someone they are always surprised and I am scared they don't believe me. I am on medication and go to therapy but if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to not feel like this I would appreciate it. thank you.

3 Replies 3

Hi there,  

Thank you for posting on the forums, we understand it's not always easy reaching out for help but we admire your bravery in sharing what has been going on for you. We are sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time, panic attacks can be a frightening experience particularly while going to school. We hear that you put a brave face on and we're glad you are talking to someone as it does not feel good to constantly have to be strong. We know you've probably heard about some of these strategies such as mindfulness but they can often be very helpful and apps like smiley mind or headspace can offer some good options if you are on the go, such as before and after school to calm down.

Please know you can always reach out to us, we’re on 1300 22 4636, or you can use our webchat here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/  A few more options for talking it through are Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467, and Headspace on 1800 650 890. All these options are also available through webchat, if you'd prefer:  
Kids Helpline: https://kidshelpline.com.au/  
Headspace (9am-1am AEST): https://headspace.org.au/eheadspace/   

Thanks again for being so open here. We know how hard it can be dealing with these feelings but please know you are never alone, our community is behind you!

Kind regards,  

Sophie M 

Annas1
Community Member

Hello Guest 9965,

It's a really good step to reach out for more support as you navigate these difficult experiences and feelings. I feel you are describing so much of my own experience at your age and one of the hardest things was not being able to confide in others about what was happening for me. So, you are definitely not alone and there is a pathway to feeling better. 

You describe yourself as someone who is a high achiever who sets a very high bar for themselves. Perhaps the effort it takes to meet all these high standards - academic grades, a leadership role, social approval - have become a burden rather than a source of happiness for you? This was my own experience, and it has taken me many, many years to recognise that who I am is so much more than what I can do or offer to others. You too are more interesting, versatile and valuable than an excellent report card or social accolade.

Could you re-direct some of your obvious capacity and energy toward caring well for yourself? I now think that my first job in life is to care for myself - before achieving my goals or pleasing other people. When I'm doing well - mentally and physically - then I will have the capacity to get on with my tasks and be of benefit to others. Self-care comes first.

Now, it may seem unrealistic for a middle-aged person to offer this perspective to a young person staring into the headlights of academic testing and competition and the need to find their place in society. High school and adolescence are really hard work and I don't think there is enough social and pastoral support embedded in schools to properly support our young people. Having said that, I also know that there are many pathways to adulthood, whether via academics, trades, work, or volunteering. Your high school academics are not the only way to make your way in the world, even if they are your Plan A. I wish we would put less emphasis on school achievement so that young people can enjoy learning without the overbearing pressure of competitive success. 

I would really encourage you to continue the counselling and medical support, and in addition look into some of the suggestions that Sophie has listed, particularly support that may link you with other young people who are struggling with the expectations and load of high school. There will be many people who are experiencing the same kind of feelings that you are.

Sending you warmth and solidarity

Thank you for the reply ill try to reach out to more people for help.