FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

House is a living hell

Tote442
Community Member

I live in a sharehouse where a housemate is on the lease and is the boss of the house. She doesn't tolerate disagreement very well and is fairly black and white. The house is meant for her exclusive undisturbed enjoyment. The rules of the house are such that we have to minimise any inconvenience to her. For instance, at night, I have to sleep with my door ajar, tiptoe in the hallway and not flush the toilet in case this wakes her up. She is completely neurotic about the roster and holds others to a higher standard than she does herself.

Yesterday, I found a message on the fridge saying, "PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLEAN THE BATHROOM AND TOILET!"

I've been doing this already.

During her roster weeks, she's been doing a half hearted job. On my weeks, I'm fairly thorough, but even then, it feels like she's still suspicious of me.

This has been an obsession for her even though she leaves both sinks stacked with dirty dishes along with the bench space and food is left out - although I'm not allowed to do this.

Her stuff is everywhere, but if you leave anything in the common areas, it's moved or she complains.

You can't cook without her watching a movie on the projector with the lights off - so I feel like I'm disturbing her.

She frequently berates and micromanages her daughter who also lives here. She uses foul language too.

Text messages and talks are relentless. Sometimes I get accosted first thing I wake up in the morning. There is a long list of texts from her on my phone, but when I sent a few texts to her about the bills, she said I was pestering her in a very long message. Her texts have a creepy friendly tone with many smiley face emojis.

When I'm in the same room as her, she is often moody or silent in a tense way. When she makes small talk, you can tell very quickly she's not interested in you in the slightest.

I barely spend any time in common areas anymore, but this hasn't stopped the relentless messages and talks.

Other housemates quickly realise she is the boss and are careful not to challenge her in the slightest.

I've just had enough. I can't cope here. She begrudges what little personal space she allows me. She seems like a loose cannon. I have to be careful not to set her off.

It's been disastrous for my mental health 

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

We humans will come across more often than not, others that we are not compatible with. In this case there is no other option but to move out.

If your mental health is a concern you will need to visit your GP for a discussion.

TonyWK

I'm working on it.

GreenEgg
Community Member

Hello

I’m so sorry that you’re experiencing this, your home is meant to be a safe space. I definitely agree that it sounds like you need to move out as soon as you possibly can, and in the meantime minimising any time near this person and leaning on any supports like friends (and these forums!)

Some of the things you’ve described sound not only unreasonable, but are concerning me because they sound similar to patterns of behaviour by people who are emotionally abusive. Things like criticising, berating, condescension, stonewalling, gaslighting.

Sadly the law needs to catch up, because this kind of behaviour from a landlord under a lease would be unacceptable. You’re definitely not alone in this experience - so much so that the government in NSW has recommended law changes to create new laws for shared accomodation including subletting, lodging etc. 

I know this doesn’t help in the mean time, but let me know if you want to talk. Can you work on an exit plan?

G

Tote442
Community Member

Thank you, G.

Everything you said is on point.

I hatched an escape plan a long time ago. Only now has it come to fruition.

I'm moving on.

This chapter is closing.

I'm so relieved; it's an enormous weight off my shoulders and this person is finally being evicted from my head.

A new life awaits. I'm very happy.