FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Health anxiety running my life

Bell87
Community Member

Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time but I’m really struggling with my health anxiety. So I recently got my jab and because I read up on the side effects eg myocarditis

I’m completely freaking out that I’m going to get it. I got the needle yesterday and was anxious then I started thinking I have it as my chest felt funny. I went to sleep fine and thought if I do have it, it would stay and I would feel it all the time. I did read the stats and it is rare. Why do I do this to myself? I currently don’t see anyone or take any medication. I don’t like seeking help as I feel stupid when I go because I can’t control my emotions and just cry all the time. I just can’t bring myself to go and get the help I know I need.

23 Replies 23

I finally seen a doctor because I just couldn’t live like this anymore. I was constantly scared and short of breath. I cried and she was great she comforted me. (I’ve never had that from a doctor before) but my second vaccine is tomorrow and I am dreading it but looking forward to it being over and done with. I am so scared though.. I think I’ll try and stay busy so I don’t think about it

Hi Bell87,

Can I say a massive congratulations on seeing the GP, I'm so glad you were able to do that and that she was able to comfort you. That took enormous courage and you did that. I hope you treated yourself in some way. It is an amazing help when you a have someone compassionate and knowledgeable to guide you through this.

So the vaccine is today. I have had both and I too was very anxious. Everything was fine, no problems (obviously there are side effects - fatigue mainly) but there were no issues and that is the case with literally millions and millions and millions of people around the world.

Remember that if you experience shortness of breath (like I did) it is likely your anxiety. May I recommend booking in with the GP again so you can chat through your emotions after getting the second dose? Even if you feel okay initially it might be good just to book on in in case you start to get anxious. Then you know you have her to speak to again and she can help you out.

I had a GP I saw frequently who was very comforting every time I had one of my little attacks and over time it really helps.

Here to chat.

Thank you. I feel much better like a weight lifted off my shoulders for speaking with a doctor.
yes vaccine over and done with now I was anxious still am abit but slowly calming down. I have health anxiety so you could imagine I’m over thinking and worrying about every little symptom.but my husband got his done too I’m just trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off it

I definitely will go back and talk with her about it. She was great

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bell87,

Im so proud of you for seeing a doctor ❤️ Well-done….. it sounds like you have found your doctor….. stick with her….. all the best ❤️🙏