FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Health anxiety running my life

Bell87
Community Member

Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time but I’m really struggling with my health anxiety. So I recently got my jab and because I read up on the side effects eg myocarditis

I’m completely freaking out that I’m going to get it. I got the needle yesterday and was anxious then I started thinking I have it as my chest felt funny. I went to sleep fine and thought if I do have it, it would stay and I would feel it all the time. I did read the stats and it is rare. Why do I do this to myself? I currently don’t see anyone or take any medication. I don’t like seeking help as I feel stupid when I go because I can’t control my emotions and just cry all the time. I just can’t bring myself to go and get the help I know I need.

23 Replies 23

I tried to get a phone appointment yesterday but they couldn’t do it.
I was feeling positive that I made that step. But now I’m back to feeling stuck 😭

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bell87,

Well done for taking that step…….

I understand the feeling of feeling stuck………. Can I ask you to do one thing? “ Believe in your self”

One other thing that I wanted to mention what makes you feel stuck?

I believe it’s FEAR…… but believe me when I say you CAN push past that fear with the inner belief that you have within yourself for yourself….on the other side of fear is everything you’ve ever wanted……… and I believe you can be on the other side……..

Make your appointment and walk into that doctors office with the belief within yourself that you are capable of crossing over to the other side of fear………. It’s there waiting for you…… go and get it….. change your life 💪🦋

What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is nothing compared to what lies WITHIN US ❤️

isabelle21
Community Member

Hey all, I would love a response from someone but I have been experiencing so many physical symptoms which lead me to think worst case. I am convinced I have MS due to on and off leg weakness/stiff feeling (and then it gets worse and I can feel it more when I go for walks or to the shops or other public places) and it's literally debilitating... I think about it all the time. I went to the doctor earlier this year and they looked at me like I was crazy...
I don't really have any other symptoms (maybe facial tension where different parts of my face feel tight or scrunched up from time to time) that are as bad as that but I really want to get a second opinion but scared to get further tests too.... it's just like an ongoing circle of anxiety.
Ughh, feeling really depressed about it and wonder if others relate.. 😞

Hi isabelle21,

Sorry you are feeling this way…….

I understand it’s hard to have anxiety over our health….

Id have a lot of intrusive thoughts about my health I’d always jump to worse case scenario, I’d google symptoms I would convince myself I had something seriously wrong with me……. I’d go to the doctor and I’d be told that I was ok but I’d still obsess over it…………it came to a point in my life that this type of worrying became severe……… I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder by a psychiatrist….. I was stuck in a vicious cycle…….I’m now recovered thanks to the help I received from professionals……..

If you feel your symptoms need checking by a doctor please have them checked……

Im sorry you feel depressed….

Maybe even have a chat to your doctor about the way you are feeling with your anxiety and depression…… you could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist……

Ive written two threads

From someone who had OCD and recovered

and

Effective treatment for OCD Metacognitive Therapy

Also if you wish you are welcome to start your own thread and our community can support you 😊

Im here to chat ask me any thing

Hi Bell87,

I'm sorry to hear that I understand why you would feel disappointed. But as petal said good on you for making the call, because that is a win! and its important that we celebrate the little steps we take.

I'm wondering whether seeing the doctors face may help. I know HotDoc is an app that allows you to book appointments online at a nearby clinic. When you do this you can actually choose the doctor you want an appointment with based on their face and a little description of their likes, interests, background. Maybe seeing their face and reading about them might help in feeling a little more comfortable?

Using this app you can book in a face to face consultation. I know this is a very scary thought but at this stage you are just booking the appointment. Doesn't mean you are definitely going.

Then on the day of the appointment you can just drive to the centre, doesn't mean you have to go in.

And you take it one step at a time like that. You might find that when it comes to going in, you have seen the doctors face, you know a little about them, and it might feel a little less scary.

You always have the option of leaving, you are not trapped there, but if you take it step by step you might find that on your first, second, or third attempt you walk in to see the doctor. And then you've done it!

Its just about taking little steps. Take it slow, and for each step you get closer to seeing the doctor - reward yourself 🙂 and even if you fail and go back a step - reward yourself for trying again.

I had to do this many times with my phobias, just taking small steps until eventually I felt strong enough to do the whole thing.

How does that sound to you?

Love Pumps

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bell87,

Just checking in with you….. how are you?

Here to chat

Dear Bell87,

You have done very well in attempting to book a consultation with your GP. What are you current strengths in this situation and how can you use them in reaching out to your GP? What are your barriers and how can you overcome them? Is there a really close friend or support that can be with you for a telehealth appointment? A doctor comes into contact with so many different people and with different situations. What you are experiencing is nothing new to them, except your story behind it will be different. To trust in somone to share your deepest concerns is huge, but please know a doctor must abide by privacy an confidentiality laws unless they belive you are at risk of harming yourself or others. So please be assured that you are safe and the doctor is there to help you regain back your quality of life. I wish for you to be comfortable and feel safe. Vaccines go through a testing phase and 3 clinical trials before they are deemed safe for the community. This vaccine passed all the clinical trials and is still constantly being monitored. Like all vaccines availablethat you may have had in the past. Having your vaccination is a great thing for you, it reduces your risk of getting to the point of being so sick you need to be admitted into icu and you have taken the steps in ensuring your friends and family dont get sick too. You have done a really positive thing for youself and your community.

I hope you are able to find a solution to help you with speaking to your gp. You deserve to a feel safe in relation to yout physical and mental health.

Tee

Hi thanks so much... it just drains me so much. I have an appointment with a neurologist in about a month. Feeling really nervous as to what the answer will be. The leg weakness/stiffness just feels so so odd...

Hi isabelle21,

I understand it’s difficult just try to stay positive.

I hope you are ok…..

Have you tried meditation? It’s helpful for relaxation…

Bell87
Community Member
Thank you for checking in. I finally made an appointment with a doctor and she was fantastic with me. I cried and she comforted me. I’ve never had that from a doctor. I got blood work done. Everything is fine apart from abit of high cholesterol I honestly think it was just panic over the vaccine. Which I have my second dose tomorrow. I’m trying not to think about it too much.. thanks for checking in