FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going to see a doctor about anxiety?

Dante_C_
Community Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have gone to see a doctor / GP about challenges you were facing mentally. If so what were your experiences talking with them like? Thinking about going in soon 🙂
15 Replies 15

Let me know how it goes on here AnxiousAF!

Dante_C_
Community Member
Must have been hard! You are an extremely courageous person for going in and opening up to a complete stranger!

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dante,

you got some great responses to the question! i think we've all been there!!

I've had a few brush offs when i spoke to gps about mental health - that was really disappointing because it takes a lot of courage to do so!

It can take a few tries, so please don't be discouraged and know it's not your fault if the gp doesn't get it - and move on to one who does!!

They are out there for sure, but can take a fair bit of effort to find.

I am happy to report I found one eventually who is very good with mental health and makes it easy to talk about those things. Also honest to admit that i saw about four before him.
Good luck!!!!

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Dante

great thread topic and thankyou! So many proactive members posting excellent support above 🙂

My recovery was due to my GP.....she had a strong mental health focus and helped me help myself

• Making a double appointment is a huge help
  • Gambit87 mentioned on the 29th "I saw a GP and broke down in front of her" I did the same and yes it was somewhat uncomfortable (as so many people withhold their feelings) yet the next day I felt so good
  • If we are not brutally honest with our GP (doctor...psych) the recovery process can take a lot longer

Good to have you as part of the Beyond Blue forum family Dante!

any questions are always welcome

Paul

Thanks Paul for taking the time to respond. Great response and well done on your recovery 🙂

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hey Dante - just checking in to see how you are going? Hope all is OK with you.