FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Going through an Anxiety relapse and having a psyche appointment in 2 days.

Flop
Community Member

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've used this forum. Many months. Last I posted was about a driving instructor appointment and summoning the willpower to both book one and go to it. (I was suffering with panic attacks at the time)

I still worry about panic attacks, but much less so then the last time I posted here. So for anyone else struggling, you can beat it, it's a slow burn that I'm not even completely through, but we'll beat it in the end.

On to the topic at hand, I did actually go to my driving instructor appointment, but she was very controlling and it made me lose a lot of confidence in my driving and that has led me to pretty much stop driving all together (I think I went once a month ago) and consume all my motivation, since then I haven't really done much of anything. I know the instructor was just doing her job but a lot of situations she intervened in I could handle. Obviously given it's our first appointment, she couldn't have known that.

Because I've not had the motivation to do anything, I've been feeling really bad about myself in a multitude of ways, which has made me pretty depressed and anxiety hasn't been awful since I haven't focused on anything, but when I think of life... I get very anxious. It's probably the best time to go to a psychologist given how I'm feeling, but our first appointment (which was 3 months ago, haven't had one since(they're very hard to get into)) was more just like a chat? Talked about ex partners, parents and similar things to that. I did bring up my actual issues but they didn't net any real emphasis from her.

Because of ALL of this, I'm feeling like I won't gain much from going and it's also gonna be really hard to go in general. Last time I went, it was helpful because I didn't think I could bear even sitting in and talking with someone.

Any advice is welcomed, your journey with a psychologist, if you can relate with the slump I'm in, or anything else you can think of, and of course kind words are always appreciated. 

Thank you for reading. ❤️ I hope everyone is well.

2 Replies 2

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi flop,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the forums. It sounds like you had a tough experience with the driving instructor and I hope you will soon find the motivation to return and/or find a different instructor. 

Regarding a psychologist, it's a different experience for everyone and it also really depends on the psychologist. I personally only see my psychologist once every two or three months which is enough for me. I don't get a lot unfortunately out of talking through my issues with a professional. I more use it as a back up just in case something is really troubling me. But I know for some people its a huge protective factor. It really depends on the person, their personality and their mental health literacy. But I suggest if you found your last session helpful that you should return because having a good first session is a great sign. Generally from there you can start to relationship build and start tackling strategies. 

Having low motivation is a huge part of depression and was something that very much affected me. It's a daily battle but there are certainly strategies to tackle this. It includes a number of things (which you can learn with your psychologist) such as exercising, activity scheduling, mindfulness, sleep/diet changes and social strategies. I would suggest this be the focus for your next session since it sounds like your biggest issue atm. 

Here are some more tips and advice re motivation: https://headspace.org.au/online-and-phone-support/interactive-tools/activities/motivation/ 

Please keep us updated and I hope this helps a bit.

Bob

Whatsinaname
Community Member

It's funny when it comes to psychs as it depends massively on your personality. I saw about 3 psychs that I just didn't click with and 1 I know is booked out for months in advance. I ended up seeing a "free" one, using a mental health plan, and he was great for me.

For the most part we do kinda just talk, can't explain why but for me that calms me down I guess haha.

Long story short, maybe worth "shopping around"