FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depersonalisation.. HELP!!!!

Michaelhc
Community Member

Hi Guys. Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this post. My name is Michael and 24 years of age from Melbourne, Victoria. Today i'd like to reach out to those in the community and ask for some guidance on what can I do with my life!!!

For nearly 3 years now i've suffered from chronic anxiety and DEPERSONALISATION. This has made life incredibly difficult!!.I've lived what most would call a relatively normal life, e.g uni, work, friends etc... HOWEVER, the last two or three months have proven to be very tough. Whilst my anxiety remains constant, its these feelings of detachment and living in a dream like state that are associated with depersonalisation that are causing me the most grief. For those who haven't experienced depersonalisation, its awful!!! It's like living in an alternate universe and watching your life as if it were a movie of sorts.

Below is a list of steps that I am currently taking to aid me in my recovery:

I've arranged to have a meeting with a psychiatrist next Tuesday. The doctor himself came highly recommended by my GP.

Yoga/Mindfulness Practice

Running/Jogging/Walking Healthy Eating

I would love to know of any other therapies or exercises that those in the community would consider beneficial. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Please do not be shy!!!! At this stage in my life I am happy to take on any suggestions.

14 Replies 14

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Michael,

I do depersonalise a bit as well. For me, I find walking barefoot around town helps. I like looking for those little grate things on the ground and stepping on them. Or the little dots that are meant for blind people at intersections. Just focussing on the texture of the ground literally helps me feel more grounded. It also doubles as a way to beat the fear of being weird because you inevitably get stares, but I suppose a little bit of exposure therapy is okay.

Otherwise, seeing the psychiatrist will be good. It can be a bit scary and very uncomfortable at first, but I'd recommend you try to persist through the initial discomfort. It's also important to remember that not all psychiatrists will be a good fit, but it's still worthwhile giving each one a fair go before you decide to change, if they are not helping.

Otherwise, welcome to the forums and it's wonderful to hear that you are so open for suggestions.

James

Michaelhc
Community Member
Took my dog for a walk down the road earlier taking the same approach!!! Feet are a bit sore but otherwise very good suggestion

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Michaelhc,

I haven't experienced depersonalization before, it sounds very hard. When it happens do you feel very tired suddenly, I feel like it would drain all my energy.

Since I haven't experienced it, I cannot say what has worked for me, I but I can with my anxiety as I have suffered with that for around 10 or so years. All the stuff you listed is awesome, you are doing so many rights things, One thing that always calms me down is music, I love it.. just putting some of my favourite tunes on and just hearing the words can help. I also like motivational videos, one's that talk about the reality of having a mental health issue but also coming out of it.

I feel you have a lot to offer people on these forums so please stick around and join in conversations where you feel fit, I would love to get into mindfulness, there is another member on here who always talks about it and seems so at peace 🙂

My best for you,

Jay

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi there Michaelhc,

I’d also like to welcome you to Beyond Blue.

Thank you for coming here and providing this post and your response … it’s a good topic.

I guess we’ve all got different ways and means/methods that we need to work on daily to keep ourselves on track.

Along with having good GP, and also a couple of psyches (psychiatrist and psychologist) as well as taking prescribed meds.

Then, I like your suggestions you provided, though I’m not so much into yoga or mindfulness practice; but hey, each to their own and what works for you, then that is awesome.

I also like to keep as fit as I can, so I go to my gym 6 days a week; plus getting out and running/jogging and after that, walking.

I can’t over emphasis fitness and trying to keep ourselves active and healthy; which then leads to good eating … and something that I think a lot of people take for granted … drinking plenty of water. I’ve read reports that depression feeds on many things, but one of them is dehydration.

But again, each to their own, and what works for me, might not work for the next person, so I really believe that each of us have got to trial and test lots of different things; things that we can do (and hopefully enjoy) to help us get through our days, and beyond.

I feel like I’m waffling, so I’ll send this off and hope to hear back from you (and others).

Neil

Bor123
Community Member
Hi michal I’m from melbourne and have been suffering from dp dr for around 8-10 years every day !!!!! And have just released now that I’m totally over it and want out I know there are ways out of this mental problem and we can beat it ! Let me know your updates on your condition and how you are dealing with it and if you have received any help !! ?

missmd
Community Member

Hey Bor123,

I’ve been suffering from derealisation/depersonalisation for I would say probably 15 years or even more. From what I can remember it came on after I smoked heaps of drugs with my friends and then went to a blue light disco. I couldn’t remember getting home and just woke up feeling totally spaced out, like I was still stoned. I have felt this way all the time since then. My memory sucks because of it but that’s the thing I can remember it stemming from. My mum passed away when I was 17 so I’m sure it’s mixed in with that and an abusive relationship at around the time of the onset of my derealisation. I started meds not long after the death of my mum (from cancer). I would say I was on medication for around 12 years or maybe a little less. I decided I didn’t want to be on meds longer than I had been off them and also my libido was totally shot, so I decided to change to a different medication. I tried it for a few days but I was SO TIRED so I gave it up. I was off meds completely for about 4 months but was feeling super irritable and just SO ANGRY all the time so I thought I’d give medication a go again. I was on medication for close to 2 months and decided I didn’t want to be on meds anymore so stopped it abruptly as its marketed to not have any withdrawals. TOTAL LIE. I stopped it on Saturday, Sunday I couldn’t go to work as I had a panic attack on the way. Monday Tuesday we’re my days off so I managed with the extreme anxiety but by Tuesday night I couldn’t take it anymore and took it at about 1am because I couldn’t sleep and felt so so sick. It’s now Saturday and I’m slowly (very slowly) getting over those symptoms but it seems my derealisation is much much worse. How are you going with yours?? Sorry to blabber on with my life story but I’m at a loss 😓

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello missmd,

Wow I'm sad to hear about your story so far. It sounds really really tough for you.

Withdrawals are so bad, especially if you're already feeling just mentally terrible. It can really drain all energy out of you, and what I've had is quite similar to what you've described.

Thankfully for me, I had a bunch of friends I could count on and who I would just message randomly through the day. Do you have anyone close who you can talk to? It doesn't fix the physical stuff, but I always found talking would at least help me get through the day.

James

dpdrlex
Community Member

Hey Michaelhc,

I honestly feel your pain... depersonalisation/derealisation is the absolute worst thing in the world! I would do anything to feel like I did before it came on. Mine stems from bad reactions to marijuana/other recreational drugs. I have actually had it in the past for a year and it went away, but recently had an episode that caused it to come back again, 10x worse than before bringing with it health anxiety, panic attacks and a lot of stress. How I eventually got through it the first time was just by distracting myself as much as possible until I just stopped thinking about it and it eventually faded... I know its much easier said than done but the more I dwell(ed) on it the worse it got. Also, reading about what depersonalisation actually is and how its the body's response to a threat makes you kind of appreciate it and see it in a more positive light... your body is always trying to protect you! It is a hard one to beat when it is constantly there, but I hope from reading this you can try and incorporate some of the things I did to beat it the first time!

Oh my god I feel you completely I did not know that was something other people felt. Thank you.