FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Could this be anxiety?

Wendy72
Community Member

I know it's normal to worry about your kids. But what do you do when it goes too far? My son is 8, and whenever he goes anywhere without me or his dad, I spiral into full-blown anxiety. As an example, there is currently a huge fair on in my city, that happens every year. My 20 year old stepdaughter is taking my son on Saturday. I am FREAKING OUT, imagining all kinds of horrible situations like him getting injured (or worse) on a ride, or getting lost. I can't stop thinking about it, and am crying myself to sleep every night worrying about it. I want to say that he can't go. Similar thing earlier in the year. We went away for the weekend with my Mum & MIL. Due to space constraints, he had to travel in MILs car. Again my imagination went into overdrive, lots of tears & stress in the days leading up to it.

No-one knows about this. I can't keep doing this, but I'm terrified of losing him.

I don't feel like this all the time, just when he is going somewhere without me.

2 Replies 2

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Wendy and welcome;

I have a son who I used to worry about too, but not to the extent you're talking about. I know it must be a relief to have written those words, so well done on having the courage to post.

I'm concerned for your well being. Your distress and worry comes across loud and clear in your writing.

Anxiety's no walk in the park as most of us know here on this forum, so to go thru it alone is sort of silly. Please find the courage to tell someone you trust.

At the very least, I urge you to talk with your GP. If he/she plays it down saying it's normal for mums to worry, let them know how serious it actually is and scares you to think about it.

Asking for help isn't a crime and will get things out in the open and off your to-do list. Less pressure on your mind, heart, neck and shoulders...

If you continue to ignore the cause and pretend anxiety symptoms exist around your family etc, it can damage your central nervous system, adrenal gland and your heart just to name a few.

You're really fortunate to know what your trigger is; that's a blessing for therapy. Tools to cope like Mindfulness and useful distractions can make life easier while you sort thru things with your psych; it's a step by step process..

You rationally understand these thoughts aren't real don't you? If you struggle to believe so during an episode, write your main fear in the middle of a large piece of paper and then write 'why' around it in a few segments. No judgement!! Go away for five minutes while you clean, walk outside or do something physical.

Come back to the paper and write down beside what you wrote before, another way of looking at each segment. Take long, comfortable, deep breaths while being mindful of reality, what's rational and probable. If you begin thinking of catastrophic outcomes, walk away and start again in a few minutes.

I think you'll be surprised at how beneficial this is. Hopefully it'll side-track your emotions long enough to give you relief, and head off any further symptoms of panic.

I'm here most days Wendy to support you when you're ready to respond. Take your time if you need to.

Kind thoughts;

Sez

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Wendy and a warm welcome to you.

As usual, Sez has given you some great advice and I just want to add that it could 'separation anxiety', although I'm not qualified to say, only a doctor or psych can do this, however, after having anxiety and depression for a long time it's possible for us to indicate as we ourselves may have also suffered from it.

Allowing your son to be taken away by your stepdaughter to a fair is actually is giving him a responsibility which he will need to learn as he matures, but it doesn't stop when your child is young, it still happens when your children have grown up to be adults and get their licence, although it's not as strong, or perhaps we have learnt to realise that we can't do anything to stop it.

This will teach your son to begin to trust other people and for him to gain some confidence.

Medication may reduce this separation anxiety and the more he goes away with someone else the better we hope you will become.

Best wishes.

Geoff.