FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chest pains and severe anxiety

Jainist
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm 40, married and a mum of 2.

To keep it simple, I have suffered panic attacks since I was 18. Spent most of my twenties with few episodes.

Thirties, a few episodes of depression/anxiety and panic.

I turned 40 this year and my anxiety has never been worse. 

I am currently experiencing chest pains. It feels like my chest muscles and upper back are torn and sore. My heart has been racing for days, sometimes out of control.

I have been walking, breathing, stretching and also practicing The Linden Method. His "Panic Eliminator" audio is genius and has REALLY helped me. (This method reminds you that anxiety is actually a fear of fear and you mistake the heart racing/sweating/mind racing as the FEAR you're so afraid of)

Has anyone else experienced these horrible chest pains? When combined with the usual lost feelings of doom that anxiety can bring it's truly horrible.

6 Replies 6

Ready1
Community Member

Hi Jainist - yep that's me to a tea.  I get the chest pains and a numbness/pins and needles in my face and arms. I'm only just identifying now what has been anxiety for some years.  I know deep down I'm ok but still gets to me.  Mine is more to my left and always when I'm super stressed or tired of late!  I wish you all the best and I have been learning of late it's refreshing to know your not alone. 

Jainist
Community Member

Isn't it hideous Ready1. 

I am so tired of this feeling. The worst part is that the more you focus on it the worse it feels and so the vicious cycle continues.

My pains and racing heart have been a constant since Friday. It's now Wednesday. No respite. I am able to calm them with breathing and stretching and walking but when they come on with an overwhelming feeling of doom I start to get scared I will feel this way forever. Horrible stuff 😞

You're right. It does help know we are not alone.

Ready1
Community Member

A work colleague of mine suffers from anxiety and said to me a few weeks back that he found the cycle will continue to repeat until you can work on what triggers it - I haven't done this yet but have my first appointment with a psychologist tomorrow so I am hoping they can help and with time I can control it.  For me I get anxious at certain times of the night, which is when I had my most noticeable panic attack.  I also get the pins and needles and sharp pain in the left of my chest when I am driving long drives - this has all really only happened for the last month that I have noticed - to be honest everything seems more intense since I had an attack which got me to the hospital and it really has been circular since then - I assume you have been to see a doctor about your current chest pains?

Jainist
Community Member

Finding out the trigger makes sense.

Do you also find it can sometimes seem to come out of nowhere? I have read that if you track the way you are breathing and your internal dialogue just prior to an attack you will often find both are the key.

I have also read that if you invite the worry/pain/panic to "do it's worst" and almost laugh at it for being so weak (as it can't really hurt us) this can help diffuse the tension.

I hear you about the attacks getting worse after a big one. I have had the exact same experience. I called an Ambulance.

I think the reason is that we are now even MORE afraid of the fearful feelings. We know how bad they can get so they scare us even more.

If we break it down and realise the fearful feelings CANNOT ACTUALLY HURT US, they are just feelings and sensations, I think we are on the way to recovery.

My thoughts are with you. You are not alone

Buz123
Community Member

I had a panic attack last week after going through a few stressful weeks at work. I was told when you go through a particular stressful period you need to up your relaxation techniques. I've had to take a few days off work because the anxiety has stayed. I realise now that I had the panic attack because of the previous stressful two months at work. I missed the warning signs and should have spent more time dealing with the stress when I was in the middle of it rather than leave it until I got the panic attack. I find that running really helps. After twenty minutes the endorphins hit you and then you really start to de stress. As I run down a hill I shake my hands loosely and let my shoulders flop up and down. I find that after a 35-40 minute run I feel great and a lot less stressed.

Jainist
Community Member

Hi Buz123,

Sorry you're going through this too. Agreed about dealing with issues as they arise. Sometimes we don't know how much something has affected us until we come out of the storm, right?

I'm sitting here at 2.15am typing this. Terrible nighttime panic attacks. They just keep rolling on and on. I'm so tired but can't quiten my mind.

I'm inspired by your comments about running. I jogged today for the first time in years. It felt SO good. I'm going to pick up the pace from my usual walking.

I read that the effects of running/jogging equate to anti-anxiety medication. Plus it's side-effect free (aside from helping fitness and weight)

If it wouldn't wake up my kids I would hop on my treadmill right now.

Good luck to you