FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety symptom: Tingles and Prickles - Does anyone else get them?

ELLMA
Community Member

Hi,

I am new here. For a few weeks, I have been experiencing a new physical symptom of my anxiety that feels like prickling and tingling in my legs and arms. Sometimes it feels like a burning sensation. 

Usually when I try to sleep or rest, they show up. When I am distracted or not thinking about them, they tend to go away until the next attack. But I can feel them everyday and for hours. 

Will this ever go away? Does anyone else have this and how do you cope with it?

It's uncomfortable and unsettling to me...

Thank you all

4 Replies 4

gloria10
Community Member

Hi Ellma,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Its great that you are reaching out.

When I saw this post I was surprised as I have been dealing with this too. I have been more stressed over the last few weeks so I figured it could be related.

Have you spoke to a GP about it?  I've been meaning to and will ask when I go next, however, I have found that taking time to relax and focus on something different (lately gardening seems to help), but it is hard when its strong (I think with mine its coming from my back as I carry a lot of stress there).

It has eased, once the stress has gone, so that is something. Are there different things you try to reduce anxiety?

I hope it eases soon for you, it is unpleasant.

Gloria10

ELLMA
Community Member

Hello Gloria10, 

Thank you for your reply - it's comforting to know I am not alone or paranoid about this haha!

I can understand what you're going through, as I was very stressed too with my final school exams the last few weeks.

For me right now, it's more so an anxiety stemming from the curiosity and worry about this new physical symptom - my exams have ended, but it seems my body is still stressed?

I will visit a GP soon to rule out any other possibilities (in case it could be a pinched nerve, although I doubt it). 

Just to ask, before I experienced the tingling, I had weird involuntary muscle twitches, although they have stopped now, I wonder if you had them too? 

I know everybody experiences anxiety differently but a common relief is doing something you enjoy, like watching a movie or reading a book, for example. I personally found that talking to other people, such as my family, distracts me a lot from my tingling leg! 

Perhaps also seeing a therapist could help - I know there are a lot of free online services. 

And, I have been practising positive self-affirmations, for example: "you are safe", "its only a harmless fight/flight response", "it will go away". Or even trying to convince myself it doesn't exist could help, haha! I am new to experiencing psychosomatic symptoms, so if you have any other advice, please do let me know. 

We are in this together! 🙂

Ellma

gloria10
Community Member

It's understandable being stressed during exam time and I remember what that was like. It's good that you are finding some things that help, like talking to your family and reading.

Interesting that you mention muscle twitching as I sometimes get that before falling asleep, very frustrating, but in my situation I think there is a possible pinched nerve issue too (due to back issues).

Positive affirmations is a great idea too, nice work! They do help. 

Sounds like you're doing well, but I hope a GP or counselor can help too. All the best with your exam results!

Trans22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've experienced similar sensations and they usually increase and redirect my anxiety - it's worst when the sensation is on my face.  I haven't seen a GP about it but I have rung 000 twice but nothing has shown up in tests done while I was in the local hospital ED.