FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety/sleepless nights over school

Butterfly20
Community Member

I have always been anxious and an extreme overthinker as well as having fear over making wrong decisions. 
recently my fear and anxiety have been over choosing schools for my child. Im deciding between 2 schools that he got offers for. They are similar but also different in some ways. One day i sway more toward one and then next day the other and one day im in between. U keep thinking which would be a better fit, where would he be happier etc. then i worry about him finding nice friends, fitting in, what if he gets bullied for some readon, will he like/not like school and how to tackle that etc. also he may need to do afterschool care for few days a week and im worried that will be too much to handle. 

i am so worried as the wrong choice can have an impact on him and his future. 
i just wish someone could tell me which is best for him but no one can, as we cant predict future. 

i think my anxiety stems from my school experience. I had to change 3 primary schools due to parents moving.  i found it difficult to find friends as i was shy and socially awkward. I was also bullied at some points. Now all of this is surfacing and i so dont want my child to experience the same. 
i just dont know what to do, how to overcome this, stop overthinking and decide. 

1 Reply 1

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Butterfly20,

I can understand that your own experience is having an impact on your decision (or lack thereof).

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was to suggest that you and your child spend a few hours at each school, checking out the facilities, getting a feel for the place. Then see which one you both feel comfortable with. Since your child is the one that will be going to the school, if would be good to include their feelings (children are quite intuitive).

Hope that helps a little.

Take care,

indigo