FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety - First Time Posting!

Minnie3
Community Member

Hi everyone.

This is my first time posting and discussing my anxiety.

I get really sensitive to some things in everyday life. I think I have social anxiety I hate the thought of being criticized or being humiliated. I tend to have panic attacks in two main situations. The first when being out around big crowds of people. I feel like I can't breathe, that everyone is looking at me and sometimes unsafe.

I tend to have panic attacks at night in bed about the thought of falling asleep. sometimes I won't sleep until 5 am in the morning.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

2 Replies 2

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Minnie,

I hope you don’t mind if I extend a very caring welcome to you to the forums. I think this is a huge first step for you as this is your first time posting and discussing anxiety. I feel that is enormously courageous but it might also feel nerve racking too...mixed feelings perhaps...

It sounds like busy public spaces can trigger a panic attack in you. Those places must be so stressful and feel so overwhelming to you...

Your night/bed routine also sounds very rough. I feel not being able to sleep till 5am sometimes must take its toll both physically and mentally...I feel for you...

I hope it’s okay for me to share a gentle suggestion and you can see how you feel about it. I often think that a helpful starting point is making an extended appointment with your GP to discuss your struggles, and bring up the possibility of a mental health care plan. The mental health care plan entitles you to a certain number of Medicare rebatable visits to a psychologist. So perhaps this is something you might like to keep in mind...

Plus of course, you’re always most welcome to continue writing here if you feel comfortable doing that. Sometimes people feel it’s helpful to be able to talk and connect here...

Kind and warm thoughts,

Pepper

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Minnie,

I agree with Pepper that a mental health plan with your GP can be a great place to start.

I also struggle to stop thinking and go to sleep. One thing that really helps me is doing guided mindfulness exercises just before bed or while I'm in bed. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps focus my brain away from the constant thoughts of anxiety and relax enough to fall asleep. I really like the free app Smiling Mind.

There is also a vitamin called Melatonin that promotes sleep. Maybe ask your GP about this to see if it would be right for you?

I hope your first time posting is helpful - these forums can be a great place for support.

Jess