FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety attack out of the blue

Bols
Community Member
First time posting, I just had an anxiety attack for the first time in years. It felt like it came out of nowhere. One minute I was getting ready for work the next hyperventilating on the floor and sobbing my heart out. I forgot how awful it felt. My chest still hurts. For the first time I actually booked a dr's appointment and talked to a friend. Normally I'd shut down and isolate myself for a week. So that's good. But I know I have to change things in my life to have a chance to enjoy it. What I need is to get out of my head and safety of my isolation. But I don't know how and I guess the build up of ignoring that is making me anxious. What I want to know is how to break out of the rut. I always feel ashamed to admit I have anxiety it feels like a weakness or failure on my part. And feel like I will always feel less than others. And not worth people's time.
4 Replies 4

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bols and welcome to our community forums

It's awesome you've found your way here and can share your story. I do know exactly how you feel as I too have PTSD, anxiety and depression. Most of the time it is managed and I cope really well, but there are times - it knocks me over and I feel like I'm floundering. Yep, a week of work was the go!! Only way to move forward.

This happened recently (out of the blue) and this time it's taken weeks to get back to an even keel. Some of the very important lessons I've learnt of the years are:

• it's not weakness. Let me put it this way. Have a think about why you think anxiety is weak. What is there about anxiety that is weak? Fear is a good thing to have. We all need it. Just for some of us fear and our body responses go overboard and it can be difficult to bring back to more tolerable level (e.g. where your heart isn't pounding, sleep comes easily)
  • anxiety affects the physical body in many many different ways. Pains in the chest, sweating, running to the toilet. All these things are physical responses to fear. I've found that I have to isolate the belief that goes with the fear, i.e. what is it I'm fearing, why am I fearing it, what is the belief behind it and how can I look at this differently. It all helps. Though sometimes (like my recent experience), other things get in the way of looking at ourselves and what has happened.
  • the stigma around anxiety and depression are decreasing overtime (thank goodness). There's still a way to go, but we'll get there. Our CEO put out a media release recently to the Age on Anxiety. Do a google search for it if you are interested.

Feel free to do searches and join in discussions on how others manage their anxiety. You can do this through the search field at the top of the webpage. One very good thread is - Tips for Managing Anxiety.

Hope some of this helps Bols. Keep reaching out, if and when you want to.

Kind regards

PamelaR

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bols

Good on you for being a part of the forums by having the courage to post!

I understand your anguish where anxiety attacks are concerned and they are bad news (understatement of the decade!) I have had chronic anxiety for years which has been followed by depression (under management) ugh!

PamelaR has offered excellent advice through her own life life experience above

Can I ask you how long it has been since your last anxiety attack?

The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post Bols

you are not alone

my kind thoughts

Paul

Bols
Community Member
Hi Guys, Thanks for replying. So the last time I experienced a anxiety attack was over 8 years ago. The night before I went to Tafe. I knew exactly why that one happen. I went to the doctors yesterday and that was a disappointing experience. He didn't seem to know what to do. And of course I bursted into tears. He gave me some medication!! I feel like he gave me a band-aid for a gunshot. I'm going to see a professional when I can. I have a great loving and supportive family and have been talking with them all weekend. But last night I could feel another one coming on. My sister gave me a tip that seemed to work. When I felt it coming on to try and do maths. I'm really bad a maths so the distraction did help. But my god it still left me crying and really upset. I feel like it was a random thought, that I can't even remember what it was, that triggered it. Yuck. I've tried talking to a psychologist before but it wasn't my thing. Cognitive therapy seems more my thing. I feel like the answers are all in front of me but behind a locked door and I have a thousand keys but still can't find the right one to open the freaking door.

Samaanthaa_16
Community Member
hey you shouldn't feel ashamed or scared of it,it happens at random and to so many people...so please remember that your not alone in this. It was strong minded you to post this though,so good on for that and for reaching out like that. I can relate to this on so many levels. Like sometimes it gets so bad and out of no where that I just can't think anymore and control the feelings. It's like being hit by ocean waves and struggling to get back up again till your strong enough to push through it. Don't give up though,you will get through it,your stronger than you think and can get better slowly. Keep your head up high!