FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and loneliness overseas

flowers_
Community Member

Lately I have been feeling so anxious its completely overwhelming. I can't sleep properly, I wake up with pounding anxiety all the time. And I notice that I'm grinding my teeth without realising. I feel so anxious sometimes I can't control it, and I sometimes cry all day because I feel so anxious. I'm in my mid-20s studying overseas and travelling. I just feel so alone, and like a failure because I'm such a crying mess. I try to reach out to my friends and family, but I still feel homesick and alone. I feel like everyone thinks I should be so happy because I'm young and travelling, and sometimes I am happy, but a lot of the time I just feel sad, scared and lonely. I get so worried I that will be paralysed with anxiety and something will go wrong, or something bad will happen, and I won't be able to look after myself. It will be a couple of months until I move back home and can get counselling, I don't know if anyone has advice on how to cope with the anxiety until then, or if anyone can relate to feeling this way?  

3 Replies 3

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi flowers_,

I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety and loneliness you're currently experiencing. You are not alone in this. Many people feel the same way when travelling or living overseas.

While maintaining communication with your family is crucial, it may also be beneficial to seek professional support remotely. You could schedule a call with your GP and ask for a referral to a counselor who can provide phone or video consultations.

Furthermore, try to focus on establishing new friendships and immersing yourself in the journey. There are various techniques to manage and reduce anxiety, such as regular exercise, journaling daily, and practicing meditation or yoga.

Remember, taking care of your physical health is equally essential. This includes maintaining a balanced diet, indulging in relaxing activities like a hot shower, and ensuring you're getting enough sleep.

I hope these suggestions bring some relief and that your situation improves soon. Remember, you are not alone in this, and help is available.

Warmly,

Mark

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello flowers_, I'm sorry you are feeling this way and because you feel this way, please don't feel sad for crying, because this is how people deal with a situation like this.

Put a wall calendar and cross off the days until you can return home, this will give a physical look at the days counting down.

Geoff.

Life Member.

David35
Community Member

I had a similar feeling many years ago when studying overseas. Everything is unfamiliar. The main thing is the emotional support of family isn't there if you need it. It is normal to feel homesick. The expectations of how you should feel is different to how you actually feel. It sounds like there is a conflict. For me personally I came home earlier than anticipated. I had to be honest with myself. I was no longer enjoying my time. But everyone is different. It depends how much it would upset your studies and how important they are to you.