FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and job

kned
Community Member

I started a new job last year, but I've never felt I've fit in and I suffer anxiety regularly.

I know it has to be the job that is the trigger, as prior to starting the job I was on maternity leave and hadn't experienced anxiety for a fair while.

I have struggled to fit in professionally and personally. I had one worker question my qualifications, that sent me into a spiral of self doubt, and I nearly quit. However I've pushed on through.

Things are ok at the moment but I don't enjoy the job as much as I initially expected. I have had no support. I also was promised things that haven't worked out so besides the anxiety, the job in general didn't really work out as planned. Nevertheless it's a job and financially I need to try and stay put until I figure out what else I want to do.

My issue is, we are currently trying for another baby so I don't want to start looking for another job just yet. If I stick it out, then I qualify for maternity leave. However my anxiety is increasing every week. How do I get through this? My family all say I need to hang in there, but it's hard..

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello kned

Anxiety is an awful set of feelings to have not to mention how exhausting they are too!

I understand what you are going through as I used to have chronic anxiety for a long time. At this stage in my humble opinion your GP could be a huge help here. The GP's have better training with anxiety compared to when I was going through it in the 1980's. Having a weekly appointment with your doc is an excellent way to lessen the severity of the anxiety. Just mention what you have here

I know your family means well when they mention 'hang in there' yet its easily said. IMO staying in your current job would be less stressful than starting another job at this stage. There seem to be more positives in staying with the devil you know from what you have posted

A GP or counselor would be a huge help as soon as you can to reduce the anxiety. Making a double appointment would be a bonus so you can have immediate support with your job as well

What are your thoughts?

The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you kned. I hope you can stick around...any questions are welcome 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul

Meowface
Community Member

I don’t have the answers but just want to say that I’m in a similar situation. In a very stressful job which was hectic since I started 12 months ago. There’s always mistakes, problems and it’s really hard to find the right answer.

my anxiety has definitely worsened with this job and at the moment my panic attacks are almost daily. I’m recovering from one tonight with horrible chest pains.

My point is that my husband and I are looking to start a family soon so I get the same advice about maternity leave. I really hope you are doing okay xx

kned
Community Member

Thank you both for your replies, and I apologise for the delay in responding.

You are right Paul, looking for another job is very stressful and I don't think I have it in me to do that right now.

Im really struggling though. I feel incompetent in my job and my anxiety is through the roof at the moment! I only work part time and yet my days off work involve my stressing about work, and challenging the negative thoughts that continually pop into my mind.

Meowface, I'm sorry that you are experiencing the same thing. It's certainly hard, and it's hard to know the best way to go when also considering trying for a baby. I hope you are ok. Panic attacks are not fun at all. I always think if work can cause so much grief, is it really worth it?! I hope you are ok.

Terry73
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi kned (and Meowface),

I cant say I have been in your situation, but other than what Paul (blondguy) suggested (good post btw Paul), I can only say this much, as far as making choices.

Work out the outcomes of your choices, both pros and cons, for example, to quit and change jobs could mean that you find something more suitable, but also means that you have the added pressure of the new job as well, while staying in the same job has benefits of being something you can rely on as an income, being more established mean you have more room for negotiations with your employer, but then the down side is as you have mentioned, the stress of performance and alike.

I know that doesnt seem to clear it up, but what I am trying to say is choose a choice that best suits yourself, acknowledge the cons of it, but focus on the pros and why you made your choice, and keep reminding yourself of these pros. Before you know it, time has passed on and you have also passed by the issue, or at very least come to grips with your choice.

Hope this helps you, or at very least gives you another way to see things in order to cope with your situation

Terry

kned
Community Member
Thank you. It certainly is helpful!