FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice / peer support: manager with anxiety

Northern_prince
Community Member

Hi - I have been just started my first management position and have a history of anxiety. I have just had a breakdown at home and then work after becoming completely overwhelmed by the constant and varied demands of being a manager.

I've organised to see a counsellor and have have a supportive supervisor who will have help me implement a wellbeing plan.

That said I've noticed that there is a lack of resources for managers with anxiety themselves. I also can't find much about other managers dealing with anxiety, their experiences and how they have overcome these.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for tailored resources for managers suffering from anxiety or is anyone willing to share their experiences to assist me get through this difficult period?

Thanks in anticipation

9 Replies 9

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Northern Prince, welcome to the BB forums.

Interesting question you have proposed. It may take a day or three for everyone to have a chance to respond, but I am confident that the collective we should be able to provide some guidance.

I manage IT people, in a previous company where I was a managing consultant, I regularly went from client to client and having re-prove my managerial capabilities. Sometimes one ends up in a company of really smart and switched on people ... and then I get the worries about "how to I shine in a room full of stars"

Actually, whether I am with smart people, or not-so-smart people, the actions don't change. The plan doesn't change. The approach doesn't change.

1. Get to know your staff; those that are direct reports and those that are not
  2. Learn "how we do it here"; you cannot adjust the course or performance of a team until you understand how things are currently done; and why in that fashion.
  3. Understand the objective as it applies to your team. This is something that is supportive toward the endgame of the company's strategic objective.
  4. Determine what you need to change to see the team moving towards that objective.
  5. Apply a small subtle change, to guide the team towards that goal.

I manage my week by setting aside time to do emails and answer queries. I book out random 30 minute slots in my calendar so others don't book me for meetings; thus allowing me some time to do what I need to do. I have an open door for my staff, and let them know that they can come to me with any problem.

So what is a problem?

A problem is something that is preventing a desirable result from occurring. When people present a problem to me, I ask that they articulate: the issue, the impact and the alternatives.

• The issue is the thing that is preventing the desired result
  • The impact is the cost of the desired result is not occurring
  • The alternatives are options that I may choose to use towards eliminating the issue; but since I am the manager I don't have to choose from their alternatives, I can always introduce my own.

People that provide issues, with no thought of impact or alternatives, are just complaining. These people you politely send away until they have determined the impacts and alternatives.

VERY IMPORTANT

The terms Manager and Educator are synonymous. It is your job to teach the staff how to succeed; and succeed as a team.

Ask more questions ... let us know your problems ​and we'll try to help you pick the best alternative.

SB

V17
Community Member
Hi Northen Prince,

Welcome!

Feeling overwhelmed is a horrid feeling and I empathise with you. Can I say, though, I think you are doing an incredible job on taking a proactive approach towards this, good stuff! I find it inspiring 🙂

SB has made some great points that I am sure you'll find helpful.

Have you checked out the Beyond Blue links that are at the bottom of this thread? There's a lot of great info in there. You may find the Workplaces link really helpful. (Scroll down bottom right hand corner).

Kind regards NP,
V.

Nikkir
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Northern Prince,

Thank you for reaching out to us;) and that is great that you got a job, a good job by the sounds of it so well done !

I can understand that you have anxiety and this can be very challenging in a new role and the fact that you have had a breakdown at home as well. It is definately a good idea to get support. I am sorry I do not know where you would get such specific counselling I am not sure if they offer it at your work but you could ring our line on 1300 22 4636, they are good at referrals or get a referral from your GP which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway with the anxiety. You could get a referral to see a professional therapist up to six sessions I think. I wish you all the best and let us know how you go if possible or if there is anything we can do. Best Wishes Nikkir x

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Northern prince. Thanks for posting. It can be frustrating not finding a post/resource on something you are dealing with but it is great you have made a theard on this.

I used to be a night shift team leader. I had to look after the restaurant with just me and the cook (note it was a 24 hour restaurant.) I struggled with my anxiety while working there. I was also seeing my psychiatrist and psychologist and I was in the process of changing my medication. I found talking about my job with both of them helped me as they also gave me some strategies for anxiety at work. I have also had to walk outside a few times to get a fresh air. I did have a few anxiety attacks at work and once I even had to go home early (to be fair they changed the system and expected me to use it without training, so it was kinda their fault one of them happened). But my job was understanding. I never told the restaurant manger I had GAD but I said I did have some anxiety and occasionally it got bad, however I understand not everyone is able to discuss this with there boss or collegues. Being able to talk to someone about it is something that really helped me. Also asking my mum who also was a manager helped me to. I learnt through experience which things to let go and not care about and which things I needed to care about. I know not everyone knows someone with anxiety in management and that is why it is great that you are posting here.

For me I found I did a few things before work to help with my anxiety for this day at work. I would get to work 5 minutes early and in my head pre plan what needed to be done for the day and try organize everyone to achieve that goal. I would also have a hot beverage, whether that was a tea or coffee, I find this comforting to me. I also make a drink when I just need a breather, it also gives you the excuse to do so. I find sometimes meditation for me helps. Just shutting off the brain for ten minutes helps. I once did it in the car outside of work just because I was anxious about the day.

I hope some of this has helped you. Also everyones advice above are great too 🙂

Keep us updated

Some helpful and practical tips there, thank you!

Thanks for the kind message and for the link to extra information which was really useful. I return to work tomorrow after a few days off and hope that I feel better. Thanks again.

Thanks so much Nikkir, I appreciate your advice and words of support. I've booked myself in to see a psychologist later this week and return to work tomorrow so I'll see how I go.

Thanks Ms Purple so practical ideas based on your personal experience. I really appreciate your response

Hi Northern Prince,

Thanks for your reply:) I am so happy that you have found some comfort through this site and helpful tips. That is great you are going to see a psychologist. Please let us know how you are going if you feel like it. Otherwise, best wishes.

Nikkir x