FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

very lonely 36 year old guy

David377007
Community Member

Hi,

I am very very lonely. My wife left me 14 months ago and I am getting all the mental health support I can from my mental health care plan, but I'm just still extraordinarily lonely. I don't have any friends and I find it really hard to maintain friendships for some reason.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi David,

I am sorry you have been having a tough time. It is hard going through times like these. It is great you are getting mental health support, that is a step in the right direction. Keep at it.

Have you tried joining any clubs or groups near you which might have some like-minded individuals you could mingle with? 

It is hard to put yourself out there when you don't feel 100% yourself, you will find new friends and relationships in time. Trust the process. I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

Guest_4069
Community Member

Hi David

You are not alone. I feel the same. I also find it hard to maintain relationships with people. I'm not sure if its trust issues or something else. A lot of my friends were also friends with my ex’s so it's now awkward to connect with them. I think I'm also worried about being judged by others. 

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi David377007,

Thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry for how you're feeling. I have similarly been feeling lonely this past year and have found it hard to maintain relationships as most of my close friends have moved out of town or are busy settling down. I have recently signed up for a weekend support group though at the mental health clinic that my doctor works at and am looking forward to that. Perhaps you psychologist might know of any similar programs in the area? Regardless, I hope you find these forums are helpful in providing a sense of community for you.

Bob

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi David,

I'm so sorry, it must be so hard for you.

Do you think it's a good idea to rediscover your old hobbies and join the relative clubs in your community? It could be easier to get along with people with same interests.

Hope everything will be better.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sadly it's a bit of a weird one, we never had any friends as a couple or anything, our only hobby was sitting around browsing the internet on our laptops. My social skills are pretty bad as a result. There are some groups around my city, not a huge amount though.

I liked going to the beaches, that was my happy place, but I can't afford a car so that's an impossibility now. Also experienced a massive drop in income as a result of her leaving.