FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling

bitter_biscuit
Community Member

Hey guys 🙂

Recently, my body has felt so out of tune... I've been getting heart palpitations, shortness of breath and every physical symptom you can think of...They happen pretty much everyday even when I'm not having a panic attack. Every morning I wake up I am anxious and hopeless. I find that there is no longer joy in my life. I went to my GP today and they confirmed nothing was wrong with my physical health, and referred me to a psychologist. I haven't been yet but I really hope that one day I can return to my regular self and be happy again.

Has anyone else also experienced similar physical sensations with their body? And if so how are you holding up now? I sometimes get this dreadful feeling that I'm about to die...

I hope everyone is doing their best and taking things day by day :))

5 Replies 5

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Bitter_biscuit~

Welcome here to the Forum, a wise move on your part as you get to hear other's experiences, and hopefully let you realise what is happening.

All you have described sounds horribly familiar to me, including that fear of dying, the panic attacks, and nothing being physically wrong despite other symptoms. This came about because among other things I was suffering from depression (the hopelessness) and anxiety (the panic attacks and physical symptoms) as well as endless worry.

Thanks to the correct medical treatment which has included in my treatment therapy and medication I'm OK. I suspect I'll always need it though it is no big deal, and also thanks to my family's support I'm now a very different person. True I'm not completely 'cured' but have reached the stage where physical symptoms are under control, as is my anxiety.

So life is pretty good and yes I'm near to my old self (I'm older now) and happy, as is my family

I was a mess and held off for far too long before seeking help, and even then minimized things, this was mistake, it made me harder to treat. Please don't make it too, and be very frank with your psychologist, leaving out nothing, even if embarrassing or frightening. Without an accurate idea of the problem it can't be properly treated.

I mentioned family support, is there anyone in your life to support you, family or friend? Trying to cope on your own in isolation is hard. Just talking with another who cares makes a big difference.

I was a mess and am now good I'd be pretty sure you can be too

Please let us know how you go

Croix

Hello Croix,

Thank you for sharing your experience, it is very comforting to know that I'm not alone 🙂 And I'm really glad you managed to control your anxiety/ depression. Makes me hopeful that I'll get better one day too.

My family have been very supportive of me. I couldn't imagine having to deal with this alone.

Sometimes I feel my heart beating weirdly and wonder if it's due to my anxiety or something else...

How long did it take you to get things under control? I really appreciate your reply though, glad to have someone to talk to that understands :))

Dear Bitter_biscuit~

I'm not sure how to answer your questions, I've reached a stage where I've "recovered" to the extent I lead a life with employment, satisfaction, self-reliance, loved and loving, relying on others and in turn being relied upon.

I still get physical symptoms, and have had my heart tested umpteen times, all coming back perfectly normal. It is something I know will happen again as does my doctor, but I manage and contain the effects so it does not realy disrupt my life. Maybe the odd day off in A&E once every blue moon.

I have to stress I manage well, and I strongly suspect so will you. I'm glad you family supports you - as you say trying to cope by yourself would be very hard.

I also hope you have the same confidence bad trust in your doctor, this was a big thing for me and allowed me to be frank and to have patience things would work in time.

Not an exact answer I know, but we are all different, and I'm sure you will get better as time and treatment go on.

Croix

Thank you for all the replies Croix,

I understand that it varies from individual to individual and I do hope I can manage my symptoms one day. I'm going to see a psychologist on Monday and I'm really hoping that things can get better from there... Today has been a pretty bad day so far, I've been feeling very anxious, tired and light-headed, I think I'm beginning to worry too much again haha.

Sometimes I really doubt whether I'll get better but your replies have given me a little hope so thank you for taking the time to talk to me :))

Dear Bitter_biscuit~

I often, at least at first, found visiting my psych to be a nerve-wracking experience, so much so that it would very much heighten my stress levels and all that went with it. There was no reason for this, it was simply my unreasonable apprehension.

Perhaps the same sort of thing might have happened to you today, after all you do have that appointment coming up. Do you think this might at least be a contributing factor?

A couple of things, apart from those found in the Beyond Blue information above have been most helpful:

Firstly the views of others with what has helped them

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety

Lots there, you might like to have skim though for practical suggestions.

The other is a free smartphone app called Smiling Mind. I use it to stop my mind being stuck in a loop of worry, it takes some practice but is well worth it as it get my mind to a clear state where I can think of other things. Even the demo is good.

https://www.smilingmind.com.au/

Good luck with your appointment, and you are welcome to come here, anytime both before -and after

Croix