FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Heya

JimmyRecard347
Community Member

Hi peoples

... Man these things are hard to start...

Jimmy Recard is my fake name on here because it said not to use my real name. I'm a 36 year old guy still stuck in the 90's. I have had Anxiety, panic problems, quite bad depression, and depersonlisation since my teens.

When I was 16 I had a series of panic attacks (panic disorder) mainly brought on by myself with alcohol and not eating enough, then being too sick to eat. This lasted for a whole summer, I couldn't go anywhere without getting very dizzy, then panicking. I then stayed at home a LOT that summer, which even without panic attacks, for a 16 year old very active young dude, is hell! When going back into school and schedule the next year I found it helped a lot, but formed lots of fun little phobias, and I then ended up failing school and just leaving. Finding work after that, I was starting to progress and was able to push through a lot of mental barriers. I then found work at a very stressful workplace, which paid good money though, I easily went into a rut of ... I guess emotional eating, binge drinking, the usual. The stress built up wayyy too much, I eventually booked 2 weeks holidays, then on that holidays, my panic disorder started again when I stopped eating so much junk food, but then also not eating enough good food either. This time while I was driving my car, I was almost 2hours from home, not that long of a drive, but every minute of that drive was filled with panic, just because I wanted to get home.

My 20's were then filled with agoraphobia, major depression, depersonalisation, a bit of what seemed like psychosis. I couldn't get anywhere to get help, I had a mental barrier it seemed, that was about 500m from home. I had no job, no life, no goals, no ambition, no friends, no reason to wake up. For one part of a winter, I didn't bother going past my letterbox for about 2months because I didn't have the energy to put up with a panic attack that day from trying to keep pushing my barrier. This lasted about 10/11 years, and a few other problems along the way, long story finally shortened. I'm now mid 30's, only started SSRI's a couple years ago, which has helped HEAPS, but is not a full cure. I'm now trying to rebuild my life, find a job, and try kick some anxiety in the assface!

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

So, a fairly disrupted non stable early life. Not that uncommon Jimmy but some of us cant shake some of the issues that easily. You do however have a grasp of your situation. Some say with mental illness "if you have insight, you are one of the lucky ones".

With anxiety, which I conquered 7 years ago nut took me 22 years, short and long term strategies are important.

Google

Beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

Beyondblue topic worry worry worry

Beyondblue topic the frog and the scorpion

Maharaji sunset youtube

Repost anytime

TonyWK

Hi TonyWK

I do have a bit of a grasp, but didn't come easy. It does seem that way as you said.

Ok cool thanks for that, I will check them out and hopefully start getting a grasp on conquering it also. Thanks again.