FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First post, thought I should say hi.

Penny84
Community Member

Hello,

I was feeling very nervous about posting on here as I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything. I have always been a sensitive soul, however I have noticed a dramatic increase in bouts of sadness more recently and find myself crying more often over very insignificant events. I tried to bring this up with my GP, however he only reacted awkwardly and treated me with pity rather than offering any real help. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone has any advice on what I should do. I don't know if my feelings are normal or if I should persist in seeking help.

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Penny, well done for posting your first comment, it's not easy when you first start, but it does get easier as time progress's.
If you wanted a diagnosis from your doctor and didn't get one then I would suggest that you try and find another doctor, because will need their support all through this terrible time you're having.
Although we can't give you any diagnosis ourselves as we aren't qualified, but as we have been through depression for many years then I do believe that we are entitled to say what we think, because if you were my sister then that's what I would be saying to her, that it appears as though you maybe suffering from some sort of depression, but it would be wise to have this said to you by a doctor.
When ever anybody cries for no particular reason then their mood is distraught and it's more than being sad, depression goes that extra bit further and then makes you think in a negative way, and generally it won't go away by itself, which means that you must start off by seeing a doctor who can get the ball rolling.
If you click onto 'Get Support' at the top of this page then scroll down until you see 'Find a Professional' or you could ring the BB phone number also at the top.
Please let us know how you get on. Geoff.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Penny84,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums and thanks for reaching out. There's a lot of people in here that have not received a diagnosis so please don't let that stop you from reaching out and chatting.

I'm sorry to hear that your GP wasn't very supportive or proactive. There are a few things that you can do from here:

- Go back to your GP. It's not uncommon for GP's to dismiss people but often they just need a push or they may not realise that you're wanting a referral/advice. Feel free to ask for a referral.

- Try a different GP. Some GP's naturally have more knowledge in mental health than others.

- Have a look at what services are in your area and where you would feel most comfortable going to. Depending on your age and location there may be some already Government funded services that don't need the referral from your GP.

You also said that you don't know if you're feelings are normal. What I can tell you is that what you're feeling is real and there is no 'abnormal'. If you are struggling and you feel like therapy might be useful, then I encourage you to reach out.

Hope that you find the forums to be helpful. Best of luck.