Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Feeling anxious and afraid of going through a divorce and leaving my 1year old son

Community Member

Hi, my wife and I are going through an ugly patch in life. She does not respect me and my parents. She wants only her parents involved in all my finance and personal stuff.

she bosses me around. How she speaks with me is to always try and get an argument out of things. I am so much fed up of her that I feel like giving her divorce but then I start realising about my son. And now I feel very anxious ans depressed

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

The common action to take is couples counselling. There might be some chance to save your marriage.

If you believe there is zero chance then I would be brave and set up a new home not too far away. Engage a family solicitor to take proceedings to ensure visitation rights passed by the family court.

Your son will the grow up with you firmly in his life. Living nearby could mean 50/50 sharing arrangements.

Good luck and be firm with your legal process to guarantee your and your sons rights


Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Parth, whatever you decide on doing your son will be fine, it's better for him to grow up in two happy families, rather than one unhappy family, children become accustomed and do adjust to the new arrangements, and I say this because I know someone very close to me who has separated and then divorced with two young girls and they enjoy having two homes.

As Tony has said if you have a solicitor then go and see them, otherwise you could both meet with a mediator and once you have decided on the terms it's then passed onto a lawyer.

Try and make sure your visitation rights are 50/50.

Good luck.


Dear Parth,

We would like to welcome you to our forums. We are pleased that you found the strength and courage to post about your confusion over your relationship and son. As you are already experiencing, we are a helpful and supportive community.

Partnerships and marriage can become complicated and distressing if the partners discover that they are not as compatible as they believed when they first connected and got together. We understand that this can create considerable stress and frustration for everybody involved in the situation.

Often, when things get difficult, we can stop taking care of ourselves. When we are parents to young children, this can create even more stress, frustration, and discomfort.

We would like to encourage you to call BeyondBlue Support Service on 1300 22 4636, or Lifeline on 13 1114, to speak with one of their professionals whenever things become too overwhelming. Both of these services are free, and both run 24 hours per day, every day of the year.

Finally, remember that you are always welcom to post on our forums to seek support from our wonderful community members.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Parth,

How's your relation with your wife's parents? If it's ok you can have a calm talk with them, if they realise your true feeling and challenge maybe they will help with some change?