FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Another noob

King_A
Community Member
Hey all, I'm a 42 year old dude who's been living with Depression & Anxiety since my teens. This last week I've been dealing with insomnia that's progressively snowballed into a pretty unpleasant episode of the above. The main antagonist for my sleep problems is alcohol, specifically wine, I've known this for a long time, and keep telling myself that I'm going to stop drinking as frequently, but of course don't. So I've decided to reach out a little bit, and stop bottling it up (pun intended). Anyway, hello!
2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome to the forums.

congrats to you for deciding the reach out for help - the first step can be the hardest.

with your depression and anxiety ... do you take any medication? do you do any talk therapy?

one of my problems was sleep related. However it was due to waking at 2 in the morning thinking about work. This was related coffee drinking which was pointed out to me by my psychiatrist. After I stopped having any coffee after 4pm plus some other changes, sleep became better for myself.

One of the books that was recommended to me to read was "why we sleep".

I still get bouts of depression etc. but it became more manageable after once my sleep was under control. Well, for me... plus medication plus talk therapy etc.

welcome again, and if you come back and share more of your story I will drop by

Tim

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello King A, and welcome to the forums.

Alcohol can have several different effects when you're trying to sleep, too much can make you flake as you've used it to relax or celebrate a special occasion, but in excess can cause poor sleep quality but doesn't happen to everyone.

It also has the ability to disrupt your quality of sleep but it's used if someone is suffering from any type of anxiety and/or depression, aren’t reaching a deep level of sleep, are waking several times through the night, or can’t fall asleep to begin with, which only makes you feel as though you're not rested as you should be after a night's sleep.

Another problem aside from this is that you may have 12 hours of sleep but wake up feeling as though you've only had 1 hour night's sleep, so there are many issues associated with alcohol and sleeping.

Your doctor can prescribe a particular type of medication that does stop the urge of wanting to drink, and even if you do drink there won't be the normal buzz you receive when you do rink it, but this will only work if that's what you intend to do, stop drinking.

I've used it and instead drank fizzy lemonade and/or tonic water that filled my belly up, I also ad something to eat, all of this distracted me away from drinking any alcohol.

You have to remember that alcohol may only draw your thoughts away from being anxious and/or depressed, but it may only be temporary because the next day you're back to square one.

If someone can't stop at having one drink and needs to continue on, then this may be a great concern, especially if your family want you to stop.

Please ask anything you feel that worries you.

Geoff.