FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Unable to sleep in my third week of coming off anti depressants

RobL
Community Member
Sitting here unable to sleep in my third week of coming off anti depressants. After 4 years the side effects were outweighing the benefits. I am feeling nausea, dizziness, brain zaps and a lot of other symptoms. I so want to kick the habit and work on being me again and fight the depression that has haunted my last twenty years. I am looking for hints or tips that others have used to hold back the darkness.
5 Replies 5

emlybee
Community Member

Hi Rob, that's quite brave of you! Not sure what you were on and I know you are impatient but be extremely careful

.I was sick of mine (I'm 25, on and off depression for years since 12, started on medication St 19) but I had recommenced them after going off them cold turkey. I had some bad events end of last year so I recommenced. And I realise now that they actually started not working. 

I recently weaned off and that had been fine. I didn't get  any symptoms but did when i first started. I have started a new one that has given me some minor side effects, interrupted sleep etc. But these should subside soon - have now I just realised. 

It may be that your medication was not right for you. You'd be astounded how many variations doctors have to trial patients on to get it right. My psych briefly trialled me in something else early last year (which led to me abstaining altogether) and I was incredibly allergic. I progressively developed lots of sneezing, eye redness and itchinesd and basically became a hayfeverish mood swinging monster. 

You sure you do not want some medical advice on jhow yo proceed? Doctors are usually pretty quick to get you off medication that gives you many side effects. 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Rob, thanks for posting your comment, and coming off antidepressants (AD) is a big deal if you have decided that they don't suit you, however and I'm not going to dwell on this, just mention it that there are many different types of AD's, but after suffering for 20 years you could have tried a few.

I wonder whether you have a pet as a puppie will create hours of enjoyment with walks, playing and taking them with you, then there could be different hobbies you may want to take up, or perhaps an online course to tackle.

With myself I did a full circle in what I had been doing for years, mainly because everything I had previously done I was no longer interested in, so I then, and it just happened by chance, took up something that I have never done, so in fact I had completed a 360 degree circle.

I had nor ever considered doing what I am now doing, so it just fell my way, and this is after more than 20 years of depression, lost a marriage, sold the home that I thought I would be in for a long time, after I gutted it all and then started again with the direction of my then wife.

So I would be interested to know what you have done over these years. Geoff.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there RobL

Welcome to Beyond Blue and I too would like to thank you for coming here and providing your post.

Short and to the point, so as Geoff has done, he’s made some really good suggestions, but has also enquired for a little bit more info from you, so we can be better placed to provide you with more advice or suggestions.

When you say you want to kick the habit – that is for the taking of meds, yes??    Is this something that you’ve decided or has it been a joint decision by you and your gp?  I’m not sure how long it’s taken you to go off your meds, but those symptoms you describe are usually in response to a fast withdrawal of meds, almost like going off them in one clean sweep.  All that you describe is generally related with that – is that kind of what’s happened?

Do you have a regular psych that you go see?

Geoff mentioned hobbies or interests – and these can be literally anything, but they can be heaps beneficial to you;   as can work – so am unsure if you’re working, but this can also help as it can (most times) take up your minds attention by having to be ‘on the ball’ at work and so your mind doesn’t get that chance to wander.

Sorry if I’ve hit you with a number of questions, but as mentioned, it’ll help out if we can get a bit more info?

Would really like to hear from you again.

Neil

RobL
Community Member

where does one begin, My last twenty years since my daughter was killed and life fell apart with two very broken kids. I was a serviceman prior to the accident and changed track after the accident and have run a charity feeding people on the rural fringe. This for a while gave me purpose and helped me to deal with the PTSD. I have tried a number of Ad's and combinations of stuff.

Yes, the kicking this stuff is my decision supported by my Doc, although she wants me to try yet another one which has a worse write up than the last one I was on. Even though I am feeling pretty ordinary I believe that I can get control without drugs and side effects that have haunted me for a long time.

All I really want to do is sleep right now as since the wean and now no more tablets is alluding me. The gambit of emotions in the last week is beyond my tiny mind at this moment.

I am feeling pretty negative right now so I think I will just stop for now.

Thanks for reading guys