FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Totally at a loss

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi long story short. I have several medical issues one of which is Diabetes. Because of other issues I have been in a old age facility. I was told if I wanted I could go visit friends or go for a few days and would be issued my meds. I organised days ago to visit friends. Then on trying to go visit those friends I was informed I had to be back by a certain time for my meds. I wasn't aloud to take any with me it was policy, that the RN had to administer it. As a result I have been keeped in not aloud to visit the friends who work in mental health. And are working with me to improve my mental health. I cannot even get a change of view. Just the same 4 walls same faces watch tv and people with deminita, or only speak other languages apart from English. Which is fine for them but lonley for me. What do I do to appear sane but get my point across. Go on a medication strike till I get my way? Or would that only prove I need further protection from myself.

Kanga.

17 Replies 17

Hi happy chappy Kanga

Yes that sounds like a good idea you mentioned about talking to the management and getting your action plan changed. Have you had the opportunity to do it as yet? If you have and you are not happy with their decision you can contact this place:

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

Online via email: agedcarecomplaints.gov.au

Phone: 1800 550 552

In writing address your written complaint to:

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(Your capital city and state or territory)

I am not sure how old you are, but this government department handles complaints from residents in aged care facilities. And they may be able to advise you further if talking to management does not help.

And speaking from a nurses point of view, the nurses would be quite right and it would be illegal to allow you to minister your own meds, unless it is stated elsewhere that you are capable of doing so. So yeah getting a review by management and even a GP and having something formerly written in your plan would be the best action.

Hope you can go out and visit soon Kanga..."Happy Chappy"!

Shell

Hi Shelley,

This was a really helpful reply to Kanga! It's great to know we have some wonderfully qualified and experienced people on board.

Sara xo

Hey Kanga Briar Bear!

Still feeling a bit prickly? I hope all's well.

Sara xo

Shelly Belly when I moved in here I was told I could go visit friends/ rellos any time. I could even stay out for anything up to 13 days if necessary. I would be given my meds to take. Also because a relative of mine died in Hospital. Form an over dose of insulin. I jumped up and down telling them I wanted to check the amount they are issuing me. I check then I administer. Also when i moved in they were going on old notes on me and wanted to administer 28 units of insulin. I had to argue for 20 minutes to get them to agree to drop it to 16 units. Guess who was right. Silly old Kanga.

But a lot of what you said was helpful. I have talked with the PCA's and nurse sorted it out. Reasons why and where fores. Smoothed the waters.

Kanga

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Kanga

I've no idea if this is of any use. I contacted my son on a hypothetical basis (the case, not the son)

He is a Senior RN in A&E having previously worked for years in a couple of nursing homes as an EN.

He tell me it is standard practice to allow guests to visit relatives or friends and to take their medication with them. It is a legal right. The only time the right either to go out from under the care of the RN in charge at the time is where there are valid grounds for fearing for the person's safety.

He knows of no basic differences between States.

The examples he gave where if the guest was incapable of self-medication and the persons with which he is staying were incapable of looking after him, or incapable of administering the medications,

He suggests a first course of action is with the Home's Management without the RN being present. While there are more powerful appeals this might be a good first step without too many repercussions afterwards.

As you have other avenues above I guess I'll wait with bated breath for the next installment 🙂

Hang in there

Croix

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Croix they have let me visit friends/ rello's even to go to my own home, unsupervised.The nurse and I have talked it out, and apologised for things for thing said and done. He is now aware I am not a risk to anyone at any time. In future we will be more accommodating toward each other. Thanks for your input.

Kanga

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hooray!

C

Hello Kanga

I am leaving a post here in case you return to this thread. I have posted on your new thread Trapped in Supported Accommodation with some options for you where you can make a complaint directly without going through the home you live in. Hope you can reply and we can talk on your new thread.

Mary

Hey Kanga

That is excellent news 🙂

About time you had a break......you deserve one!

Paul