FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping with a new doctor who is a bully.

ruralite
Community Member
How do I cope with a female doctor ,? who I have seen only once. I have BP2 and I am very well able to look after this infliction my self with occasional visits to a psychiatrist .After firstly berating me for taking charge of my own preventative health with methods such as monitoring my B/P and blood glucose levels, she made it very clear to me that I will have to fall in line with her. This first meeting triggered off a PTSD episode. I feel it would be better for me not to go back to her as I know I will be in for more PTSD incidents and possibly panic attacks. Do I stay and suffer the consequences or should I find another Dr.,probably a male.? I live in a rural area and Drs. are not easy to find. Regards ruralite.
4 Replies 4

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey darl welcome

Woe nah go to another and I suggest make a complaint to ? ...someone else here would probs know who to or google Medical practitioner complaints maybe. Jeez that's really off. Sorry you went through that and to stir up your PTSD on top, not on. If you make a complaint tell them that too darl.

Well done looking after yourself as you are, hard yakka isn't it BP, I'm 2 but have been 1 but got it down to 2. I think it's great that you're keeping yourself in check.
Bad luck landing her, usually in my experience chook doctors are lovely and most blokes have been good too. Shame you're a distance from them but no way that's detrimental to your mental health both BP & PTSD.
That joke of a Dr is breaking the hippocratic oath big time.

Anytime you want to talk please feel free, really good people here and well run site

Good luck with this

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello ruralite, I have a lot of questions from your post. Before I ask them, I'll start by saying it's important to have a good relationship with your doctor. You need to be able to have mutual trust, disclose everything, so they can provide you with the best treatment. You also need to be confident in their advice so you will follow it, as there's no point in going to see a doctor if you're going to ignore what they tell you.

So my questions - why is it an issue that your doctor is a woman? You have called her a bully, and have mentioned that you felt a PTSD episode triggered off by seeing her, but you don't really explain why. Would have felt berated if a male doctor had given you the same advice? If you are managing your condition so well by yourself, why did you need to see a doctor in the first place? Could it be that the doctor berated you because your self-management techniques are potentially harmful to your health?

Sorry ruralite there is a lot I don't know from reading your post, so didn't think it was a good idea to jump to conclusions about what might have happened when you saw your doctor. As I said at the start, you need to be able to trust your doctor and feel comfortable listening to their advice. If you don't, then regardless of the reasons, it is best to move on.

Thank you Demon Blaster......Yes did go see another Dr. Very pleased I did,much better and kinder,talks and listens to me. Doesn't have a problem with me being in control of my own small medical checks,like B/P and blood glucose levels. He knows I have white coat syndrome.I take the monitors with me for him to check. He said home testing is always more accurate. Other Dr. had to take time off with a stress problem. Doctors are not always right, they are just like us ,human with human problems.

Hi there Ruralite good seeing you ☺

Good hearing you're sounding happy and a lot more comfortable with your new Dr.

Hope lifes being kind to you and that you're managing well.

Take care of yourself and thanks letting us know how you're going ☺