FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

At what point is it time to try drugs?

NightOwl
Community Member

I've been suffering with anxiety and depression on and off for years. In the last 12 months it's been the worst it has ever been and I've found myself really struggling day to day with simple tasks. I DO NOT want to go down the path of taking medications, I've never taken anything in the past. I have recently sought out help from a psychologist but I'm not finding that very helping at the moment.

At what point do you know that you should try medication or is it better to just keep tackling these things in your. Or do I need to face the fact that what I'm doing clearly isn't working?

8 Replies 8

Daisycqt
Community Member
The fact that you are asking kinda tells me you are thinking it's not worth the struggle on your own any more and you need some real help. I would say the answer is in the question and to see your doctor before you find yourself self medicating with booze and over the counter drugs. I went down the booze path and it took me 20 years to kick the habit. I'm still not free of depression and finally got help 8 years ago. Why prolong the struggle. If you need help, don't try to tough it out, get help now and start getting your life back. I think your great for taking this step, so see what your doctor says and go from there. Big hug

Wood_Star
Community Member
Hi Night Owl. I am new to this forum. I read your post & can totally relate. I too have suffered with depression for a long time and kept putting off going on medication. Once I did though, accepting that this is something we cannot help validated that we are only human and Sometimes it is hard to cope and maybe we need a helping hand, and it's ok. Since being on the meds I have been able to function & cope a lot better and it helps level you out so that you don't get upset so much. I found myself at a point where I was crying almost every day. You don't have to be on them forever. See what your Doctor recommends.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear NightOwl, the question you are asking I would think would be what so many other people would be asking, so it's a very good question.

The recommendation from your doctor I think would be that you should start taking antidepressants (AD) or perhaps that has already been said to you, so can I say that it takes a very determined person just to have counselling, but really their job would be so much easier if they took AD's, because normally once the AD can give you a level mind, then you can communicate much better with your psych.

Without taking them then there could be so many problems that you don't know that is causing you to be like this, because with any counselling we have to tell them everything or let's say 98% most things.

I do understand that all of us have very private matters that we don't want anyone to know, but can I suggest that you begin taking them.

There maybe some side-effects which will go away, if not then contact your doctor again, as I took me 6 or so different AD's before my doctor found the one that works, but you will start on a low dose to see how your body takes to them, and by saying this please don't be put off, because I need to take mine otherwise I fall into a hole.

Hope that you can get back to us. Geoff.

MisterM
Community Member

Hi NightOwl,

I too was at the point where after years of off/on anxiety/depression it got worse, and kept getting worse.
I was adamant I would never try medication.
But I got to the point where many sessions with my psychologist didn't help and I was sick of feeling the way I did and decided to give an SSRI a go.
So far I feel much better and have been on them for over a month.

Don't be scared to try medication.

NightOwl
Community Member

I just thought I'd post a little bit of an update and make reference to a comment that Geoff gave which I can now understand whole heartedly, which I couldn't before.

i went back to my GP (to get a referral review for the psych) and he once again offered me AD's. I still wasn't ready and I refused them but he gave me the script anyway. To be honest it floated around in my car for 4 days before I asked myself who I was fighting against? The dr who I felt was too quick to throw medication at me when he doesn't really know the first thing about me? Or myself because of that stigma I had placed on taking medication?

So I bit the bullet and after fighting the side effects for a week or two I will be the first to say I haven't felt this good for years. No, they didn't take away my issues (unfortunately) but they have given me a much calmer and clearer head and I now understand Geoffs reference to communicating better with a psych with that much clearer head. Although I still haven't been great at opening up with her I feel we are at least moving forward with her assisting me in taking steps to better my future. Now I don't even know what I was scared of!! 

I have discussed with my psych about not being on medication long term and she has suggested that I stick with them for 6 months and the seek the professional help to properly get off them and she warned me of the effects of that. So much more info than the GP gave me as he just handed me a piece of paper with no other info!!

MisterM
Community Member
Glad to hear you made that step and are feeling better.
I was like you, I got the script and it took me 4 days before I summoned up the courage to pop that first tablet in my mouth.
My problems are still there but I cope better now and feel better in general.

ilovetoread73_
Community Member
Some meds are better than others.  Don't suffer through taking a drug after a reasonable amount of time if you feel weird etc.  There's quite a few to help and you don't have to take large amounts.  Whatever you do don't just go "cold turkey" if you decide to not take them.  It will reverse most probably all your good work.  I take meds for anxiety (PTSD) and also for Restless Leg Syndrome which in effect work against each other.  My life is so much better on them.  The RLS medication definitely is a non negotiable.  You have done the right thing by considering and thinking it over.  Don't be miserable if you don't have to and get enjoyment from life is possible.  Best of luck and don't forget to deal with the anxiety so you can come off those meds eventually.  Have a plan.

Zan
Community Member

Gi-day Night Owl -- at what point do you start to take medication? Good question.

Firstly, before you consider this option, know that anti-psychotics do not work for everyone. It all depends upon your own genetic make-up and actual mental disability.You might find you will be forced to trial many brands and strengths of medication that could go on for some years. And then quitting takes as long as the initial weaning and upping to dose process - unless like myself you quit overnight (not recommended).

Secondly, be informed of all the negative side effects. Some of which include increased suicidal thoughts, seizures, death, incontinence, erectile dysfunction, sleeplessness, increased/decreased blood pressure etc(the inserted list as a liability disclaimer is actually so long you'll need a magnifying glass). All of this medication comes with the clear warning - DO NOT DRIVE, DO NOT OPERATE MACHINERY, MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS -- so if you are currently employed and working be prepared, cause you may be placing yourself in breach of Occupational Health and Safety Laws.

Thirdly, if you can, try to confront what you think is the actual root cause of your depression/anxiety ... and be 100% honest to whoever you talk to about this. Sometimes a single experience from ones childhood is the trigger and our brain is simply telling us that we've been carrying something in our head for way too long.

Either way - be informed, don't panic, try to relax in whatever way you can (sometimes a simple sauna helps) and appreciate the breathing spaces between the depression/anxiety more -- for they are our bodies healers.