FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping a parent that won't get help

gloria10
Community Member

Hi,

I have been concerned about my mum recently. I've noticed her mood changing over the last few months and at first, I thought she was just whinging. Now I see that she is in a bit of a slump and it's getting worse. I understand she lost dad within the last few years, it has been a tough time for her, but it concerns me that even though my siblings and I suggest she gets the help she is reluctant to and keeps going into negatives again.

Being her daughter I feel that she doesn't listen to my advice, even though I've had similar issues before. I'm not sure how to deal with it or help her, but I also need to manage my own mental health. I make sure I rest up when I need to and continue to exercise as I feel better from it.

How can we help her? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

11 Replies 11

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Gloria, my reply is waiting for moderation as I used a common saying but it has a word the computer has picked up.

Thanks.

Geoff.

gloria10
Community Member

It's been a few months since I wrote about mum, I thought things were getting better. Mum was often there when I was younger and has always been a support, but I thought as I've started to get stronger and I'm taking better care of my overall wellbeing that it might help our relationship.

It has been the opposite. When I started a new job recently she started to push me away and said I didn't need to call her. I have definitely reduced my calls with her, but I can't help but feel she just doesn't want to hear from me much at all.

It has definitely triggered some anxiety as I can't help but worry about her health, plus it is new for me trying to go on more as if she isn't there and I think that's what bothers me. The other thing is that she can make time for my siblings and friends of hers and I just feel pushed aside, even though I was there for her over the last few years.

Has anyone else lost contact with their parents? Did you find it helped?