FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Giving space to someone with depression

Puppies
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there,

I've been in a long distance relationship with my partner for 3 years now and he has had depression since before we met.

The thing I have always struggled with is giving space, either when he asks for it or when I know he needs it. I have done a lot of research over the last week because we are yet again in another bout of depression. This is the worst it's been, and this time he straight out said he wasn't sure if he wanted to be with me anymore or if he even loves me. This came as a surprise to me as I know that he loves me and wants to be with me, but his depression makes him think otherwise.

I haven't spoken to him in over 2 days, as he asked for space, and we have hardly spoken since Sunday (it's Saturday night now).

I am at a loss as to what I should do because I don't like not communicating with him, as I feel communication is one of the most important aspects of a relationship.

I am not looking for people to tell me that he needs to go see someone, all I am asking is to hear from those who have depression/anxiety and those who are carers, about how much space is enough. I have sent a couple of messages over the last few days to let him know I'm here for him, but he hasn't replied. Will he send me a message when he is ready? What if he doesn't? I don't deal with these bouts of depression, I just want him to get better and be happy and I just need some assistance because I have never been so lost.

puppies

20 Replies 20

Hi Puppy;

I apologise for my remarks. As we're not professionals on here, there are times when personal perspective interferes with our responses. I hope you understand.

I'm in awe of your ability to stand by your man to do whatever it takes to keep things rolling along effectively. I'm also grateful to Poss who's come to your rescue with some pretty amazing advice and wisdom from her experience and pain. Thanks Poss...

Again, I'm sorry hun. I know you'll be fine as your replies have been wonderful. I'm a bit ashamed actually that I treated your situation the way I did.

I wish you well; I genuinely hope everything works out for you both.

Sincere regrets;

Sara x

You're all good Sara, and thanks for the compliments too.

I can totally see your points as well though, and really different perspectives add value.

And as you know, I've had my own fair share of struggles and voiced them rather negatively on here..

Take care x

Puppies
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sara and Possum,

That's ok Sara there's no real need to apologise, I think that one of my biggest issues is that if I talk to someone about my problems with him, and they think of him in a bad way then I end up getting defensive only because I don't want people to talk badly about him. I love him, and I only want support from the people I talk to about these things.

I understand both of your views, Sara and Possum, but in the end i think I'm too selfless to put myself first. Even when I'm feeling at my lowest I still want to put him first. We have a good relationship, and I read somewhere that sometimes it can be hard to feel that way when one, or both partners, suffer from depression. When he doesn't have these bouts of debilitating depression then we are fine, we have arguments like any couple would but I'm fighting for the good times in our relationship, and to make those good times the only times we have (without depression).

Thankyou both for your input, I've found that other people's experiences have helped me immensely

Puppies x

Puppies
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post an update on my situation and ask for more assistance!

My partner and I have since seen each other (I made a visit) and have spoken about what went on. We are ok now, and i understand more about why he said/did some things. I told him that some of what he said was not ok, regardless of whether he has depression or not, but I now understand his thinking and reasoning for why he felt that way.

I just wanted to ask how people cope when they have depression. I want to hear from those who have depression as to what process they go through to feel better. He said he needs space away from me when he's feeling down, but I'm not 100% sure if I understand why.

puppies x

Blackdogtimetraveller
Community Member

Hi Puppies

Not sure if you guys are together, but just want to share my experience. My partner has MDD and frequently needs space. During this time I feel very insecure, because normal human attachment doesn't look like this. You must expect this to happen, without warning and be able to give that space without feeling insecure. I say to myself now.. ok, the Black Dog is back. You must not expect nor have a time frame on when it will go away or return, no one knows.. You have to be extremely resilient and able to focus on self care, spending time with friends and being independent. When your partner sees this, he may feel comforted, or feel incompetent. It's then you need to remind him, you are allowing him the space to get well he requested (if he doesn't respond well). This is a hard slog. It is painful at times, it's exhausting. But your partner doesn't mean it, he sees it as protecting you and it's his body's way of saying 'time out'. He needs to do this to get well. He's going to say cruel things, hurtful things- it's that damn black dog. Just remember, it's not him talking. Soon enough, you'll see when he's sliding and be able to mentally prepare yourself for living independently for 'a bit'. I say this because no one, not even him, will know or be able to predict how long the episodes will last. It's really up to you as to if you can stay level and balanced, but if you can't, it might be you that will need some space to consider if you can live with it.

Its hard, it's confusing and it feels so unpredictable. You'll be ok though! Xx

Hi Blackdogtimetraveller!

Sorry for delayed reply! I just read through the whole thread from July last year and came across your response.

Yes we are still together - over 4 years! Your response makes a lot of sense. I need to stay in the mindset of ‘his hurtful words are not from him, they are the BlackDog’. I think that may help me a lot when things are bad. Unfortunately we’re currently trying to deal with another bout of depression which is even worse this time. It started with an argument but then things spiraled out of control and he tried to hurt himself. It hurt me a lot to see that. I’m still sticking by him, but once again the BlackDog makes him push me away and demand space. We are still long distance (unfortunately) but he seems to be grasping a better understanding of the fact he needs help. And I’m hoping that once he has a bit more space that he will realise he does want me in his life (he’s been saying on and off that he does and doesn’t but HAS continued to say that he loves me). It is a difficult decision for him because even though it’s been a few weeks since things were really bad, his head still isn’t in the right place.

A couple of other responses I have received have told me to take care of myself and to put myself first, but over the last few weeks I think I’ve realised that I don’t actually know how to do that. I have always been selfless and I like to believe that I know how to look after others. But I also think I just realised that sometimes looking after others means doing things I don’t want to do (like giving space to my partner). I hope he knows I’m there for him. But I find that his comments are opposing between his good place and his bad place. When he’s feeling good he may thank me for sticking by him and then when he’s feeling bad he may tell me I’m not there for him. I think I needed to read your response because I definitely believe that if I think of it as the ‘BlackDog’ that I may be better able to dissociate the depression from my partner.

Thank you all for your responses, I’m not feeling so good this morning but I am feeling slightly better now.

I hope that things turn out for us, I really love him and I enjoy our time together, I don’t want for it to end.

thanks - Puppies

chasethechaser
Community Member

Morning Puppies,

I know it’s been years since this post. I came across it last night when I was googling for help with the exact same issues. I’m wondering how you’re going with your partner and if things have improved. If you have any advice to share? I am in a long distance relationship (currently not together) and I too struggle with the space thing, fearing I make things worse no matter what I do but all I really am trying to do is be there and show him I’m not turning my back on him. It’s hard, it is so painful, but I try to stay mindful that it’s painful for him. I’m feeling quite at a loss atm.

I hope this find you well 🙂

Am glad you reawakened t this post as I am going through similar with my partner. We actually live together ..she has recently been diagnosed with severe depression and all of a sudden has been telling me to stay away...stay with friends and won't communicate.
I have been sad...confused...angry ...to read that this appears to be a normal response is very heartening. To read that it's the black dog talking not her...gives me hope.
Thank you

KG82
Community Member

Hi Steve68,

I too am glad that this post has been revived. My partner has been struggling recently, and has not communicated with me in almost a week. I don’t want to push too hard and have really only sent messages to let her know that I am there. It’s heart-breaking wanting to help, and also having to accept that you can’t make someone accept your help.

JustCroozin
Community Member

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I thought I'd revive this thread again in the hope that someone can give me some advice or guidance. I too have been in a long distance relationship, in my case for nine long years. Not all at long distance of course, and we've been trying to organise so that we can live together but she has torpedoed our relationship regularly for 4 or 5 years now. Last week my partner abruptly ended the relationship again, telling me she was simply tired and had no energy left. This has been a pattern: a fairly quick descent into coldness and distancing followed by a sudden termination of our relationship, often accompanied by hurtful comments and blame which has damaged my trust in our future and self-esteem.

This time has been a little more dramatic, as she revealed that she's undergoing treatment for depression. Along with that she has laid all the blame for her unhappiness at my feet and cut off all communication. I feel guilty, lost and helpless. I want to her to be happy and I want my normally sweet and supportive partner back in my life. There were no arguments prior to this happening but I was aware that she was feeling lonely and isolated. We've been separated by the pandemic and unable to be together at all for a long, long time now, and I think her isolation during COVID has resulted in a depressive episode. She has no close friends to turn to and has kept herself away from people because her mother is recovering from a serious illness and she has been scared that she could potentially spread COVID to her Mum if she were to catch it. What the severity of her suffering is I don't know, as I can't contact her to find out, nor do I know how long she has been depressed as she's never spoken to me about this before. I suspect that she may have been carrying this illness around for a long time, as this isn't the first time this has happened.

My question is this: How do I best support her? Right now the only way I can reach out is to send an email, but I don't know if she will read it, nor do I know what I should say or what is best for her right now. Should I just leave her alone and wait for her to reach out, assuming she wants to, or should I do something else? Unfortunately I don't handle rejection well and this is really taking its toll on me at a time when I'm dealing with a lot of other pressures. Any advice from people who have had to deal with depression from a long distance would be really appreciated.

Thank you.