FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am alone and completely isolated

Ada1
Community Member
I recently moved to a new city. I struggled with depression for a long time. I feel I tried everything to help myself but I am at the end of my jurney. I know i am not alone with feelings of hopelessness and no future. I am scared every day. I just wish for this pain to stop and would like to do something about it. So if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Andrea
4 Replies 4

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time. It takes a lot of strength and courage to reach out for help, and I'm glad you did. Moving to a new city can be challenging. You said you have tried everything - can you tell me what that looks like? (I know I could provide some suggestions, but I would not want to say something you have already tried.)

When I first moved to the a city, a couple of years after high school, and this was to go to University, I literally knew nobody. This was before the Internet, and found making friends really hard.

It's understandable that you feel like you've tried everything, and that can be frustrating. But there's always something else to try.

What sort of things bring you joy?

Have you considered talking to a therapist or counselor? Sometimes having someone to talk to can make all the difference. There are also support groups you can join where you can meet others who are going through similar struggles. Perhaps you might be able to find some connections online?

But please know that there is hope. There are people who care about you and want to help. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here for you, and I believe in you.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Andrea

Almost a year ago I moved from the city to a regional town where I didn’t know anyone. Like you I have struggled with feelings of isolation. I just wanted to send you support that while things can feel hopeless for some time, they can gradually get better.

If you have experienced depression for a long time that can make moving on your own to a new place harder. Even without depression it can be hard. So I would say go easy on yourself and just gently nurture yourself to do what you feel able.

For me connections with others have slowly emerged. For example, I have a cafe I like to visit. They know me by name there now, welcome me and I feel at home there. But in the beginning I had trouble even interacting because I was processing a lot of recent trauma I’d been through and was very shutdown.

It is possible to come out of your shell and gradually make connections, and that can really help with feelings of isolation.

Have you had a chance to get to know your neighbours and do you like them/feel comfortable with them? Even just friendly chats with them can be a start.

If you have a special interest or hobby there may be a group you can join, either in person or online. I’ve recently started doing some voluntary work and I’ve found just been around others for a few hours helps me.

As Smallwolf mentions talking to a psychologist or counsellor may help too. Just having someone to share how you’re feeling with who is present with you.

As Smallwolf says there is always hope and there are things we can do even if it feels hopeless. Sometimes it’s just taking small steps at a time. Take care and sending you kind thoughts.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Moving to a new city is a big change, especially if it is interstate so please be gentle/forgiving with yourself. It is quite common to be overwhelmed by a big move. I know sometimes I get overwhelmed just by sleeping in a hotel or airbnb lol. In terms of depression, one of the best ways to combat a lack of motivation or sense of hopelessness as well as boosting our overall mental health is physical exercise. My doctor recommends 2 sessions of some sort of aerobic exercise per week. Do you think this might be a good start?

Bob

Nicau
Community Member

Hi Ada,

Thanks for sharing, I understand how difficult it can be at times.

Have you explored your new surroundings, places like libraries, museums, galleries are a great place to explore taking in the history, culture and of your new home. If you like to share some of your experiences, I would like read about them...