FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What has helped me with anxiety?

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

When anxiety strikes things can feel out of control within ourselves I understand.

I just wanted to list a few things that have helped me in the moment when anxiety strikes.

Try not to put your attention on what has caused you the anxiety instead redirect your attention to the present moment.

Follow your breathe use it as your anchor when your attention wonders from your breathe redirect it back to your breath, this will ground you in the moment.

Take long slow deep breathes.

Thoughts (in my experience with anxiety my anxiety can start to escalate due to my thoughts)... try not to question your thoughts or add to the thought, I have found that this will only escalate the anxiety.

We can experience the first thought but the trick is to notice this and then redirect your attention to something in the present moment and not on the thought, this way it stops the process of escalation. ( It takes practice).

"What we give attention to we give power to".

Try to just allow your thoughts to come and go, we can learn to be the watcher of our thoughts without getting caught up in them.

With practice we can all learn to choose our reactions to certain situations (including thoughts), in turn if we can learn to choose  our reactions then this can either escalate your anxiety or decrease it.

All this takes practice 😀

Please add any more that has helped that you can think of.

2 Replies 2

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Petal22,

Thanks for making this thread. For me, I find distracting myself to be the best strategy. This usually involves talking with someone (ideally a close friend) about whats going on or what I'm feeling e.g. I'm anxious about an exam or surgery coming up. 

This usually gives me enough time and space to gain perspective on the situation and respond appropriately/proportionately. 🙂

Bob 

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Petal_22,

This is a great idea for a thread! I'm sure I'll be coming to check on it and see what strategies have worked for others. As you mentioned, breathing can be really helpful to reduce anxiety. When it comes to acute anxiety about an upcoming event e.g. when I'm worrying about an event the night before, a breathing pattern of breathing in for 3 seconds and out for 4 seconds has been very helpful. I also like placing a hand just above my heart as I'm breathing so I can feel physically feel my racing heart calm down. 

Beeee : )