FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

SLEEP

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

In the past there may have been threads on sleep and how to improve our quality of sleep.

I am starting this thread up and hope to include past thread titles.

For some of us sleep is a real issue, the more we can learn about it the better informed we will be.

Funny stories on weird places you have fallen asleep are welcome as well.

For me, I had just moved house and was very busy getting everything organised. Friends invited me to the drag races. I was so tired and exhausted that I sat down, leant against the fence right near the starting line and fell asleep for most of the evening.

Hope to read some of your stories and tips.

Cheerio for now, from Mrs. Dools

435 Replies 435

Hello Mrs Dools

What a terrific and necessary topic Nice1

ElizabethCP and yourself have mentioned turning off Laptops and having a television in the bedroom. So true!

• Cellphones....Overstimulate brain activity before bed. Even better...turn them off to avoid any new calls
  • PC's Tablets ipads...Same as cellphones...Give your brain a break and turn off at least 30mins before bed
  • Loungeroom TV...Best to avoid fast paced movies or 'heavy' programs before bed..Give your Brain a Break

Great Thread Mrs Dools 🙂

Kind Thoughts

Paul

I read a book about sleep some time ago which I thought had some good ideas. Points it made were:

The worst thing we can do is worry about not sleeping as that stops us falling to sleep

Relaxation is almost as beneficial as sleep so trying to relax at bedtime rather than trying to sleep helps as it stops you worrying about not sleeping. Often this will lead to you falling to sleep bt if you don't the time is still allowing the body chance to rest effectively.

One suggestion that I found helpful (unfortunately I stopped doing it & need to get back into it) Once in bed find a particularly pleasant image of somewhere you went in the past. This should be a place associated with nice relaxing memories rather than somewhere overly exciting. Imagine yourself back in this place & then notice all the details about it including pleasant feelings. The idea is that the process of imagining you are back in this pleasant place helps block all the other thoughts or worries which stop us sleeping. The book recommended sticking to the same place each night so over time thinking about this place becomes a trigger to relaxing & sleep. I haven't described the process as well as the book which I don't have but it is worth trying out.

Brent01
Community Member
Its not just work i wake up in the middle of night instantly my brain worries which makes my stomach turn,and i just think 5o myself i dont have the motivation to do anything even house chores its so hard to even get the energy for

Hi Brent,

My Dr. suggested to me that when I can't sleep, to get up for a while and do something relaxing but not too stimulating.

To write down what was hassling me, then to return to bed thinking of something pleasant.

I know that is not always easy to do! I awoke at about 3.00 a.m. this morning more out of pain in my back then any worries. Then my brain started to think about my back and my pain. What if the pain gets worse? What if I aggravate my back at work today? What if I can't get any more sleep, then my back will just be so tense? So on and so on!

Then I decided enough was enough. I wanted to rest and relax even if I didn't get back to sleep. So I concentrated on my breathing and took long deep breaths. My mind raced away again so in my head I was counting my breath in and my breath out.

I dozed on and off and felt more relaxed when I did decide to get.

Finding motivation to do things can be difficult also. Can you try to just tackle one job at time?

I will get up in the morning and think okay I need to feed the cat, the chooks, the fish, wash the dishes I didn't do last night, water some pot plants, do some washing, sort out my paper work on the table, do my exercises, go for a walk... before I go to work. Trying to put all of that in one mouthful is just far too much to swallow!

Instead I prioritise what I need to do. Feeding the creatures and myself is a good place to start. I will try on thing at a time, concentrate on that activity then move on to something else if I have the time.

Believe me this doesn't always work! Ha. Ha. My husband hiding in the office while I am racing about like a scolded cat is proof of that. Ha. Ha.

We all have good days and others where we really struggle.

Hope sharing this helps.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

Hi Elizabeth, Paul and Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your information. Elizabeth, what you were writing about sounds a little like Visualisation. I was taught this to help me with my depression and Borderline Personality Disorder.

If anyone is interested in this, I am sure you will find loads of information and ideas on the internet.

When I was taught the Visualisation, the person talked me thorough relaxing the body, then to imagine a safe place to be. It could well have been a happy place from the past or whatever came to mind.

Beaches and the sea are always my peaceful place, so I naturally thought my mind would take me to a beach. I was surprised to find my mind taking me on a journey through green lush bushland to the base of a small waterfall with a pond of warm water where I could swim and then lay on a large rock, full of the sun's warmth.

I'd like to suggest people check out visualisation and see where your mind leads you. If at first you take a journey down a dark path, add some light and peace and look around the corner so to speak for somewhere better.

Happy Visualising people!

Cheers, Mrs. Dools

Okay, just one more from me...and I will try to keep it short!

Just acknowledging the information on SLEEP HYGIENE that I have posted here was from the internet and presented by the Better Health Channel, Victorian Government by their Health and Treatment team.

There are also titles like Sleep Education on the net also.

One sight I looked at earlier is called Twelve tips to improve your sleep. People might like to check that one out too!

Bye. Told you I would try to keep it short! Ha. Ha.

Hello Mrs Dools

I have had a few queries on sleep...so I thought I would resurrect your thread. I use a small calmative before bed and to me its Gold. Its not a sleeping pill but an anti-anxiety controlled med.

Sometimes we need crutches not only to walk...but to sleep:-)

Kind Thoughts

Paul

Guest_5218
Community Member

I have been having a lot of difficulty with sleep of late. Some nights I have been getting no sleep at all, other nights a may get occasional snatches of sleep for an hour here or there. Other nights I have been lying awake all night and then finally get to sleep around 5am in the morning, only to have to get up 2 hours later.

When I saw my GP last week he decided to put me on medication which is used for ptsd-related nightmares and sleep disturbances. I do have ptsd, and went through a difficult period in February and March, and my sleep since then just never seemed to recover. Some EMDR treatment I have been having over the past 6 weeks has probably also contributed to the sleep problems. And although I am not having nightmares as much now, the GP says that I may not always even be aware of it.

So, after having used this new medication for the past 3 nights, I have to say that I am most definitely getting improved sleep. So fingers crossed that I can finally get some decent sleep again ......... I will keep you posted.

Sherie xx

Betty_B
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here, im not sure where i should be posting my introduction! I am also a little bit techno challenged! Im posting here as its discussing sleep. Mmm since an operation at the end of March ive had strange symptoms, mainly popping muscles, nerves feel like they are quivering, and a flutterin low in belly. At night i wake on and off and im trembling, i tell myself i am safe and calm, sometimes this works, and trembling eases. I use medication for nerve pain, and have started taking small dose of an anti-anxiety medication. My symptoms started two nights after surgery, no Dr is able to explain to me whats wrong with me. I am now anxious about how im feeling. Sleeping without these awful feelings is getting harder as time goes on. Any tips or advice from anyone would be gratefully received! Thanx in advance!

Hi Paul,

I am certainly no expert on sleep, just trying to find out solutions and information for myself and others having trouble with sleep.

I've asked my Dr. on numerous occasions for sleeping medication, even if it is just half a dozen tablets to help my body get used to sleeping again, but he has always said No.

It is great if these anti-anxiety pills are helping you. My Dr. is doing what is best for me and probably thinks I take enough medication with my depression and also my back problem. He has to make sure they balance each other out and don't interact too much.

Having a crutch is good!

I've been off line for a few days thanks to a technical hitch...me! I don't do technology too well!

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools