FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Smallwolf and mmMekitty

I agree and this does not just apply to mindfulness but to many concepts in mental health and life.
people discuss what relaxation is, what meaningful life is, what having a purpose is and many more things.

if it works for you and you want to call it mindfulness that is great and it does not matter if others agree.
Thanks so much as I have said this before as I people have said oh know that’s not mindfulness.
Practice and enjoy.

Oops typos know should be no.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Then again, I was just looking back & read again what Sleepy21 wrote on Sept 16, 2021:

"I've tried some groups for mindfulness, one was really triggering
I don't like to think about it ! It has to be more than just putting ppl in a room and telling them to focus on their hands or a place....
I found some of it deeply upsetting
I like techniques that effectively slow down worrying, by returning my focus to something in the present"

In situations like joining a group, or if someone is proposing to guide you, then it is worth some time taken to have them explain exactly what they would be doing. Most definitely.

Hi Mmmkitty,

After a negative experience with a group for mindfulness I got a bit put off, Ur right it has to have a focus

I've also tried trauma yoga and found it was awful to me...so so slow that I felt unsafe in my thoughts

Anyone had negative experiences similar? I guess it's a personal thing, how to employ mindfulness. It doesn't have to be intense, it could be just a slight and gentle atonement, rather than what I had, which as intense, hour long, pointless meditations

Slight and gentle atunement, not atonement

Hello Sleepy21, & all,

I don't think mindfulness needs to be any sort of intense process at all. I would be most uncomfortable if I was put through what you describe. In a group setting, the people running it may have assumed everyone was comfortable with anything they would have you focus on. If you were to have someone guiding you, specifically, talk first about what you are getting into. Here a limit you set would be useful.

That term itself, 'Trauma Yoga' sounds likely to be about a confronting practice. Again, find out more before getting into the practice. I've never heard of it, so, if someone had suggested it to me, I would be doing some research before agreeing to anything.

I don't even want to focus inward from my skin, but instead, I prefer to be more aware of my surroundings, & any awareness of my body is secondary, & hopefully, I let those feelings slide on by.

Usually I am all too aware of bodily sensations, many of which are either uncomfortable or painful.

I like to take just a few minutes at a time, 'cause usually that's all I get, to give myself a break from what I'm physically feeling in my body, & from what I am emotionally feeling as well, & just sit or lie (depends where I am), & actively notice other senses, like what I hear, (other than my tinnitus), I don't like hearing noise from my neighbours, but if I am being mindful, I am trying to just let their noises slide on by without agrivating me. Just let them be.

& when if it is about what I am eating, I focus on taste, smell & texture. I pause to notice & even appreciate my cooking, & am not rushing, gulping my meal, not registering at any of it at all. Sometimes it is really nice!

These are just a couple examples.

I am in control. I choose my own small mindfulness exercises. That's all it needs to be, for me, & all I want for now.

You can use my idea for yourself, if you like, 'cause I don't own it. 😸 & I am sure I am not the only one who practices what I might call 'incidental mindfulness', or 'casual mindfulness',

mmMekitty

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Getting anxious when replying to emails is quite common apparently. I was reading an article in Forbes about mindfulness. Suggested that after replying to an email to step away and do an activity. One example might be to lie on the ground and gaze at the sky for a few minutes and knowing that you are IN nature.

Food for thought

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I get anxious before & after replying to emails, & many posts as well. Does that mean I am going to spend a lot of time staring up at the sky? & (to be cheeky) what if it is raining?U

I think something like that would be common, because we cannot see or hear the people we are about to email, (or post), & aren't able to gauge how your initial words will be taken, & do not have the luxury of adjusting on the fly, as we do when in conversation face to face, in particular, face to face. I think conversations via voice only are just a little towards what it is like via email (or posts).

I have found myself wanting to take time to think about what I am saying more, before I send what I've written. I do not only edit spelling errors, but also might change several words, or entire paragraphs. I try to imagine how my words might be heard/read/comprehended. It can be hard work, & I often do need a break afterwards. Then I do something, then come back & begin to write the next email/post, if there is one for the while.

mMekitty

I realised that I accidentally linked mindfulness with stress in my mind, I don't know if this has happened to anyone else.

When I was in a very stressful job, to help me cope I would listen to guided mindfulness meditation on youtube. After I finished that job, I found hesitant to do these guided meditations again because my mind linked them to when I was stress. It 'brought me back'.

I realised that this may be something I have to work on and 'break through the barrier'.

I would love to know if this happened to anyone else before!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Missep123,

I've had a similar 'triggering' when people began trying to help me relax by saying, 'relax'. That word, all by itself, & in other contexts like when I was at the dentist,& she said, 'relax' - I realised the context was also in relation to my having to permit my physical being to be vulnerable & permit actions as well. So,it wasn't just the word. either.

Yes, it's the association with other events & feelings that causes a strong reactions.

For me, a lot of patience,& it did get better, Plus, having experiences which were quite different from those I was associating the word with began to make the word less triggering. It doesn't have the same power as it once did.

May I suggest, trying to use the guided meditation when you are already relaxed & feeling at peace, just for the experience of listening while not stressed for a while. Build up a mental record that says, this is good stuff or when I feel relaxed. Overwhelm the other stressful associations. In time I think you would be able to come back to using the guided meditation for when you are stressed & need some help to relax

Hopefully, I am thinking we can teach your brain to be already partially relaxed at the mere thought of those guided meditations.

Any thoughts on this, anyone? To be honest, I think I might not know what I am talking about! This all just sounds good to me.

mmMekitty