FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

the love of my life is gone

pirana69
Community Member

I recently broke up with my bf of 2 years due to his bipolar depression. Its heavy in my heart because there is so much love, respect and intimacy in our relationship. He was a kind man with a golden heart. However due to his depression he wasn't able to cope with the relationship challenges that every couple goes through on a day to day basis. Im gutted that he has given up. However i know he didn't intend of any of this to happen. My ex-partner had issues in expressing his anger, communicating and confronting. I was the total opposite of this. I believe that opposites do attract and no excuses of not being together. Sadly i have tried to communicate with him in a calm and understanding approach every time a disagreement happens but he would shut down completely and would result to breaking up. In the past 2 years he had challenged me into breaking up but i knew he wasn't thinking properly and after a few days he would realise he didn't mean too. Because i loved him and understood the illness i gave him chances. After all this we seeked help and see a psychologist, he did go for a few session but just gave up. because it wasnt working for him. I tried to convince him it takes time to find the right therapist. He inherited the depression from his dad's side and as i know all of the family member suffers from depression.

Our trip overseas was cancelled and it saddens me that we no longer live together. The break up was mutual and we both understand why we can't be together. I'm devastated that the love of my life is not with me, I know i tried very hard with communicating and seeking help for him but at the end of the day i realised i couldn't fix him. I miss him very much and wish he didn't have depression. I'm so lonely and not sure how i can get over this. I know i have done the right thing. But this sadness in me would hopefully fade away. Its only been a month, i know in time i would be ok. Its very hard  as i am missing him very much and the love remains. He need to help himself in order to fix himself. Im not sure if he will do as he gotten used to growing up and just ignoring the pain.

I would like to hear your story if you have experience what happen to me. It would give me hope to help me go through this unpleasantness.

11 Replies 11

thank you.. counselling helped me a lot with dealing. 

Hey pirana, glad to see you came back. Awesome that the counselling has helped. What else have you been doing to keep yourself on track, hanging out with mates? Doing things you enjoy?