FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Online Cheating

Shockwave
Community Member
I've known my wife for 10 years and married for three of those. The marriage is a lot like others in that it has had its share of ups and downs. There has been more downs this year where not a week has gone by where we don't argue about something, usually something minor, but still love her dearly and dread the thought of ever having her out of my life. Anyway my Mother and her never saw eye to eye and unfortunately died last year, 2018. Mothers Day this year was my first without her, and a week prior would have also been her 80th birthday , so naturally I was feeling quite down around that time. That was not acknowledged by my wife. Around the same time a property she was interested in buying came off the market . The place was around 100km in the opposite direction to where we currently live. I wasn't keen on the idea because of the extra travel to/from work among other things but she was adamant she's moving with or without me if another place were to come up for sale. Anyway feeling down and certain she was considering leaving me I joined up on a dating site to see what life would be like if I was single again, and got to chat to women online, probably more out of loneliness than wanting anything romantic or sexual. Anyway, a friend of hers not known to me, noticed me on the site and informed my wife . To make matters worse I had sent a "hello" to this woman. Now my wife wants the marriage over. I'm the "scum of the earth" , "a loser", "a cheater"….Fair enough I did the wrong thing and will be my biggest regret I've ever had. I never meant to hurt her and would do anything to get her back. I know I'm not going to get much sympathy on here, and I don't expect it. But interested to hear of others in a similar situation.
17 Replies 17

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to send a large bunch of roses or a large teddy bear (or both) to her work?

Hi,

You have to be a little careful.

Going away can inflame the situation. Flowers are ok.

What happen is anger demands time to subside before rational thinking returns. Might need to give it time to settle with subtle comments of commitment when the opportunity arises.

With talking to her- less is more.

TonyWK

Thanks Tony

Well I have ordered a large vase full of roses to be sent to her office today. She'll either like them or else bin them, or have them redirected to my office.

Hi sw

In an equal world you might get chocolates?

TonyWK

skybluecoast
Community Member

Hey Shockwave ( named after the transformer? )

First thing, well done on telling your story to try and make sense of things.

There was a youtube video I saw about conflict resolution and it was useful for me. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link but anyway, the major point was time and place to broach the issue.

Give it time and do it when things have calmed down.

But I am also a believer that if you genuinely apologise once, twice and then this issue is brought back up and used against you, that's not very fair. Sometimes people can grasp onto an issue and blow it out of proportion, torelieve themselves of a responsibility they are unwilling to own up to or don't want. It's ok to slip up and that is human. If your wife cannot forgive you then it really is touching on a deeper issue of trust. It's ok to slip up, but It's not ok to dive in. However, it doesn't seem to me you have done that.

Relationships take work and in a modern one, this thing of facebook and phones and dating sites is going to be an issue. But if two people are really sincere then they will forge a trust, and she should be willing to accept your apology.

Minor things can be blown up for convenience of cutting off because there is a better option for someone or it suits them. If you apologise and are sincere and try your best to resolve the conflict, then you at least know you did your best. It is a reminder to us all how damaging a single wrong email, website viewing or a single text can be in a relationship.

But I wish you the best with it, sharing of food is always a good thing if you cook for someone. Another thing might be to find a good relationship counsellor. All the best and thanks for sharing.

Ok so I have an update to this and so far it's all positive

My wife sends me a message 2 weeks ago that she wants to meet for a coffee/lunch to talk. We talk about the issues including how shocked and upset she was (and still is) and how i'm feeling. She said she still loves me and wants to stay and make it work . The feeling is mutual.

We had a trip to Bali booked and she suggested we still go and spend the week together relaxing and talking . We did that last week and stayed at a luxury villa with private everything. It was probably the best holiday we've had in the 9 years we've been together and there's been many.

We will still undergo counselling in an effort to, not only flesh out why I did what I did, but to also improve on our communication.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Shockwave,

Sounds like things might be turning around for you. Wish you both all the best.

Tim

Good news.

TonyWK