FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

help needed my husband is hiding alcohol

nogo17
Community Member
Ive posted recently as i have just realised my husband is a high functioning alcoholic. He is in denile and now ive confronted him this week boy has thing's changed! Now he is hiding alcohol somewhere!! Taking beer bottles to the dump with the dump run; and my 12 year daughter saw him putting bottles in the next door neighbours bin!while i was at work I cant track anything now i dont know how i feel as i was needing that visual reassurance to help me stay sane!! When i confronted him about his drinking he just laughed in my face.. where else do they hide alcohol?? Or do I give up looking now?? Please help im soooo stressed out
24 Replies 24

Hey Nogo

You really are amazing and have been so super kind to have replied to every single post..Thankyou!!!

Thankyou so much for the understanding post about my daughter.

This crappy time that you have been through has been awful for you and your family. The wounds are still fresh and usually take time to recover from.

I hope you can have time with some friend(s) or other positive people to help you get back to having some peace in your life. We are always here too 🙂

be gentle to yourself, you deserve it

my kindest

Paul

nogo17
Community Member

Thank you so much again- just trying to stay positive- 😉 I'm burning out a bit - I have some close friends but my entire family are not helpful at all. Juggling work, kids, after school activities, monetary issues, trying to keep the kids stable, and everything in between I just can't find any time to my self- it's like I'm a robot going flat out all the time to keep things going.. Anyway not the first not the last sadly... So pleased I can vent and ask questions here, everyone has wise words it's incredibly helpful. X😊

Hi Nogo

Thankyou for the wonderful feedback about everyone being helpful 🙂

I dont blame you for feeling like a robot Nogo. Its probably a good thing that you have an active schedule after what you and your children have been through

Its a pain when we cant rely on family for support in times of difficulty.

You are fortunate to have some close friends...always a bonus

Great to have you on the forums Nogo 🙂

Paul

Becstar
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Nogo, What a frustrating situation. My husband was hiding his alcohol bottles and I didn't fully understand the extent of it until after he passed away and i found them all. I found bottles and casks in the toilet cabinet, under the laundry sink, on top of the bathroom cabinets, in his car, in the garage and also in his office. They were hidden in places my hubby could be alone without causing suspicion. Its a very difficult position for you to be in but when you love and care for someone you have to try and do everything possible to keep them safe and facilitate/support and their recovery Good Luck xx just remember your not alone and there are support services for you too

Broken_Biscuit_Blues
Community Member

I would be making plans for what to do if you have to get out.The AA concept of rock bottom is pretty true in most cases . Only when people hit it do they think about stopping.

Of course rock bottom is subjective , what is unbearable for one individual may be perfectly fine for another.

There is no way of sugarcoating this, you have two things to think about.Firstly you don't know what his rock bottom is and secondly like it or not you and your kids are gonna end up their with him if you stick around to the bitter end.

So make some plans and then measure the depth of his rock bottom Either he agrees to gives up drinking and heads off to AA meetings as often has he can get to one. or it's bye bye.

If he keeps drinking the subtext is that losing you and the kids is not his rock bottom and if that is the case you are better off on your own