FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

she was my greatest comfort in the loneliest of times

alexis123
Community Member

my childhood cat has just passed away and i’ve never felt such sadness and grief, she was like the only one who truly understood me, we understood each other even though we didn’t speak each others language, she calmed and helped me with my anxiety and depression down so much, whenever things were really bad for me she would just pop up sit on my chest and purr and look at me like she knew everything would be okay, she was my greatest comfort in the loneliest of times and gave me a purpose to still be here, I’m feeling lost without her, I hope I see her soon someday, any tips of grief for loved pets, I know a lot of people go through worse, i’ve just always been so close with her. I’ll love her forever x

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Alexis, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful companion and know how this feels and it's certainly heart-wrenching.

Many people have to go through this terrible ordeal and to each person they individually have to suffer the same unfortunate experience because their best friend has passed away and it does take a great deal of time for them to overcome.

People say go and get another pet, but it's not that simple because they all have their different idiosyncrasies.

My thoughts are definitely for you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi alexia123,

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your cat - but just know that your grief is valid. Having a beloved pet pass way is one of life's great tragedies, and a lot of us have been through it. A year ago my beloved labrador passed away and I was upset for a long time. But over time, these feelings of sadness pass until you can think happy memories of your pet...still laced with sadness, but you will know they are in a better place now. I hope this helps.

I hope you start to feel better, but take time to grieve,

Jaz xx

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello alexis123,

I'm so sorry to hear about losing your childhood cat. It sounds like she was an enormous part of your life and even who you were, so I understand just how difficult it is right now. I lost a bird earlier this year and my rabbit is starting to approach that age now. I don't really have any tips for you, but I hope you can take the time to grieve and remember your cat the way both you and she deserve. With time, the overwhelming sadness and grief will pass, but the memories and love will stay.

Take care for now

James