FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

This virus does come at a crucial time in our lives, remember we've had bushfires, floods etc, none of which we can really prepare for, maybe or maybe not, depends on who you talk to, and now the coronavirus where many small little businesses are going to have to close, reminds me of the time when interest rates were 17 to 19 %, good for investors, bad for overdrafts.

A vaccine will eventually be found, but I fear that the warnings to wash your hands on a regular basis my develop OCD for people who don't have it or to those who have 

may develop OCD for people who don't have it or to those who have it in another form and that's quite possible, as I learnt to have this illness many years ago.

Would like to hear from people where this may or has happened.

Geoff.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi geoff intetesting I had an ocd before with using hand sanitizer but since the coronavirus and their being a shortage of hand sanitizer i haven't been doing it as much when i should be as i am scared of running out.

hello everyone,
maria I like your uplifting positive post with helpful hints.

I can see a theme developing where people are sharing ideas, thanks random ,of things that help others. I can see communities supporting each other , neighbours helping neighbours, like what happened In the fires and floods.

Of course there will always be people who take advantage of a situation but there are more who show kindness.

If you know of anyone who is showing you kindness, or ways you have helped others, or any tips that will help, please feel free to share them.

I am ringing up friends in nursing homes just to have a chat .

If any is doing something different to help let us know.

Cheers

Quirky

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Matchy69, thanks for getting back and understand exactly what you have said and also appreciate your comment.

Sometimes what may happen when people decide they need to be 'washing their hands', may then replace this by substituting it with something else, depending on how much OCD has control, and I say this as what I needed to do in one house, I didn't have to do in another, it was replaced by doing something else.

Geoff.

What is ocd ?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
OCD is obsessive compulsive disorder

Hi RX, as Matchy has said it's obsessive compulsive disorder and caused by anxiety.

Geoff.

Gambit87
Community Member

I have a form of OCD called harm OCD (basically I obsess about the fear of hurting myself and others or people getting hurt) and its intensity does depend on how anxious I am. My compulsions aren't entirely that bad, I have to check things are closed/locked/taps are off/gas is off on the stove - I don't spend a lot of time doing those. My main challenges are the mental images/urges I get and it can get very exhausting.

I'm slowly learning (with my psychologist) how to let go, that my thoughts are just thoughts - they are not me etc and I feel I am making progress.

A few days ago, my girlfriend and I went to a number of chemists to get asthma inhalers but they had all sold out (people hoarding) but we managed to get a generic brand (same active ingredient etc) so that was ok. The day later I wanted to make sure she had a back up - so I got another one. Then I remembered a news report about inhalers in short supply. Then my anxiety kicked in and my OCD flared up and I couldn't stop thinking what I would do to make sure my girlfriend had the medicine she needed.

Then after about 20 mins I snapped myself out of it because I was holding the inhaler in my hand! I was thinking to myself 'Matt - calm your farm...you have the medicine in your hand... she already has one... they haven't stopped making them, its just in short supply. Shes going to be fine, nothing is going to happen to her'.

Now I'm ok with it. I know she has as a supply and it is available (although a little hard to come by).

I do get a little depressed going into the shops and seeing the empty shelves, watching the elderly trying to get things they cant. Especially when I know that there's no need for it. To combat that I joined a facebook group that shares random acts of kindness at the shops.

What I'm having trouble with at the moment is the normalcy amongst this emergency? like walking around town - people are acting like nothing bad is happening, people are not practicing social distancing, I get on the train like I normally do in the morning and got to work - along with everyone else. Yet every second news article is 'more people contracting covid' 'people loosing their jobs' then the government talks about it. So yeah its a mixed bag for me atm.

But, I try to stay level headed by saying

These are tough, unprecedented times.

This will pass,

We will get through this together

Things will get better.

Bef
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I thought I would answer some questions that sophie posted to maybe try and help others during this time.

What thoughts are helpful for you at the moment?

The thought that I am loved and supported and that I have a roof over my head in my home town which allows me to actually practice social distancing makes me feel very grateful during this time when others are stuck in other countries or do not have these luxuries.

What are you doing to remain connected?

To stay connected I am talking to my friends and family on social media and talking here on the online forums.

How are you taking care of yourself and others?

To take care of myself I am trying to eat well but still enjoying some treats now and then and by making sure I spend some time outside whether it be in the garden or on a walk. I am also checking in on my friends and family seeing if they need anything or someone to talk to.

What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?

I am writing lists each day of activities I will try to achieve in the day such as going for one walk, applying for 1 job, clean one part of the house, practice a new activity etc... it has been helpful to keep the day filled and busy.

I'd love to hear everyone else's tips!

Guest_1584
Community Member

Thanks very much people.