FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stressed out from work and I want switch career

TheJackalRipper
Community Member

Hey guys,

I'm currently working as a graduate accounts payable officer at an ASX-listed company where my main responsibilities involved processing hundreds of invoices and processing payments for the company's operating expenses. I was easily overwhelmed by the workload and I feel like I can't completed it within the deadline. I became so stressed out to the point where I just don't care if got laid off due to poor performance. Also, I'm starting to dislike my work not only because my role is too stressful but I hated working in the office job even though I was working from home due to the pandemic. However, there were some aspect of the job that I found rewarding which was the sense of achievement but I kind of dismiss that.

I was thinking about switching career but I don't know which one that is suitable and interesting for me. I am struggling to find purpose in my life. I also have an accounting degree because I thought that I enjoy working in the office but after experiencing that, I am not keen to work in the office. I prefer a career that involved traveling around but with the pandemic going on, I think it was best just to wait it out.

Thank you for reading my post and I appreciate any advice that you give me.

6 Replies 6

Pumpkinella
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi JackalRipper,

Thanks for sharing! That job sounds bloody stressful I’m not surprised you’re over it and looking for something different. Good on you for realising that there are other things you can do and considering pursuing that. It sounds basic but many people just stay in jobs they hate for years.

My advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself to find your purpose career wise. I don’t know about you but I think there are many things a person could be very happy doing and we also switch careers a few times in our lives. I found that looking for a singular purpose is a little limiting and too much pressure.

For instance, I study psychology but I often thought I could have done horticulture or been a vet, and then there are all these different fields in psychology and I feel like I could go either way with many of them. Then there is also the fact that you often end up somewhere completely different to where you anticipated. Unpredictable life experiences, new things you find out and learn make the journey unexpected and so too much planning and certainty is a little at odds with the way things actually work in life.

So plenty of options for you! Which is great but can also be overwhelming deciding what to try next. As a psych student I actually ran a few career guidance simulations and I have to say I thought that they were really informative (more than I thought they would be). I would honestly suggest seeing a reputable career counsellor. I have no doubt you will get some clarity. These services are far superior to the quizzes/tests you do on the internet – it really is no comparison.

Then once you have a few options – you can choose one that feels good for now, perhaps do a few short courses online while we are in lockdown – see how it feels. Remember you don’t have to be right or feel absolutely certain nor do you have to stick with it, you are just trying things out.

Hope that helps a little!

Love
Pumps

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey,

That sounds so hard! I'm really sorry you have to deal with that.

Firstly, I hope you are doing safe during this pandemic. Be sure to check in with your loved ones and friends.

I can't give you advice in relation to changing jobs but If it is impacting your mental health then it is not worth it. Money cannot buy happiness.

that's great you have an accounting degree! I'm sure you can get heaps of jobs with that. You can find out if there is anything related to travelling and accounting.

If not, You are never too old to start a new degree. Do a careers quiz to help you find a few options. You are lucky that there is now online learning available!

Hope you are doing well!

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi TheJackalRipper,

Sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand jobs like these can be very overwhelming…… I can understand the sense of achievement it is great to feel good for meeting a deadline….

Are the office staff nice to work with? Maybe you could have a chat to the manager about the work load?

I understand trying to find your life purpose……… I too went on a journey in search of mine…… I’ve find that my life purpose is to help people in any way that I can…. I feel I went through a mental health journey so I could come out the other side to help others with theirs….

As your life moves forward you will be taken through paths that will lead you to your life purpose……. Be patient…. Seek it and it will come and it will be more rewarding than you have ever thought it would be ❤️

Thank you for the post Petal22. I think it was best if I had a chat with my colleague about the work load in my situation.

No worries 😉 that’s great you are going to have a chat to your colleague about the work load…….. I’m sure your colleague will be open to having a conversation with you and giving you less to do or employing another person to help out …….

All the best, please feel free to let us know how things go…

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TheJackalRipper,

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time at work, and struggling to find purpose in your life. I can't imagine the kind of workload that your company is giving to you, especially since it's a graduate role too. They must've placed some very high expectations onto you, making you feel pressured and stressed as you try to swim from the depths of the deep end of the waters that they've thrown you into. Definitely have a chat with your manager and colleagues about your workkload, and hope they're able to help you with some of your burden.

I feel, the purpose in life for each individual, will be a long journey to discover. Some may be lucky to have found that purpose early, others may take awhile to get there. The thing about finding purpose, is to experience life and what the world has for us. Allowing these experiences and changes into our lives, will lead us to a different result, whether big or small. And if we get different results each time, it will lead us close to what we seek for. Though some times, no change is also a good thing, as we get to have some breather space to take a break and enjoy/savour what it is that we have now.

Jt