FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overwhelmed

Nahs
Community Member

Feeling overwhelmed by so much lately. Finding just completing basic tasks is difficult to do. 
getting dressed, sweeping the floor, doing my job… none of it’s hard, none of it makes me feel anything once I do them I just find it so hard to start. I have no motivation to do them. 
I don’t know… I feel panicked and stressed because I know none of these tasks are difficult and it’s infuriating to not physically be able to get up and just do them. 
I'm so overwhelmed. 

1 Reply 1

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nahs,

Thank you for sharing how you've been feeling with us here, I warmly welcome you to the Beyond Blue community. 

I relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed and having no motivation. For me, I will either force myself to do the easiest task that I can, or complete a small part of a task I've been meaning to do to encourage myself to follow through with larger or more laborious tasks. Even engaging in something small that's fun first may give you motivation. For instance, starting your day with a crossword or some reading, these kinds of activities can put you in a mindset that fosters motivation. Switching up the activity also helps retain your interest and excitement, which can motivate you more.

Would you feel comfortable opening up to a loved one or even a GP, therapist, or psychologist about how you've been feeling? Professional advice and tips can be helpful, as well as insight and words of encouragement from friends and/or family.

Do you live alone or with others? Because depending on who you're surrounded with or communicate with on a daily basis, this may be an important precedent for giving you more motivation too.

For example, I have one friend who I will regularly go to the gym with. This isn't necessarily a daily task, but having somebody to do activities with can be a good source of motivation, and the same can apply to tasks too. To that end, exercise can also be quite motivating, and you may find that something as simple as going for a short walk every day can give you a boost of motivation to do other tasks too.

I'd like to give you a quote that I once heard somewhere online:

Action comes before motivation.

Quite often, we will find ourselves waiting for motivation to strike. In reality, a lot of that surge of motivation will come to us after we've immersed ourselves in something, it's just a matter of getting over that initial hurdle so we can get to that point. This is why it's good to start with an easier task, a small part of a task, or a different activity entirely, or even having people around us to remind us to do things or take part in activities with us. 

I hope this can resonate with you, and please let me know your thoughts. We're always here to chat some more if you need.

Take care, SB