FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for effective treatment

rockdaisy
Community Member

I have struggled with anxiety for around 20 years. I sometimes have the idea " ignore it and it will go away" when it gets too hard but as someone else said - it is with us for life and I have to learn to manage the condition. I am sick of trying different anti-depressants that seem to be only a band aid unless you do counselling as well but I am finding it very difficult to do more than a couple of sessions and give up. I have never been diagnosed with anything specifically although I have been to dr nearly a dozen times about my condition.

The symptoms such as lack of sleep, exhaustion and emotional eating/ drinking are making it hard for me to live a good life. I don't have many people to talk to about this. My last anxiety attack was yesterday.

6 Replies 6

blueskye
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi rockdaisy,

Thanks for sharing!

Even though you haven't been officially diagnosed with anything, it's good to hear that you're looking at feeling better about yourself. You know yourself best and the symptoms are something you want to change. Anxiety attacks are horrible. I've had them too and it's not great.

Counselling didn't work for me either. I suggest to find something else that works for you or try a different counsellor.

Maybe try a psychiatrist? Also, you can keep yourself busy with something you enjoy. It sounds so obvious, but when you're happy = less anxiety. So why not try and incorporate as many happy things in your day-to-day?

In regards to the lack of sleep, my partner who has ADHD and social anxiety, he goes to the gym right before he goes to bed to tire himself up. Maybe give exercise before sleep a go?

Hope to hear from you soon xx

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi rockdaisy,

Thanks for your post.

I’m sorry that you’re struggling with this and it sounds like it’s been pretty exhausting dealing with these anxiety attacks and not being able to get some help for them.

You mentioned that it’s difficult to do more than a couple of sessions so you give up - can you tell us why? It sounds like you know that counselling is important to help you manage the anxiety, yet at the same time something seems to be stopping you from really committing to it.

I’m interested to know too what you think you might need to help you get better - after all, you’re the expert on you. I do hope though that you find this forum helpful - we are always here for you to have someone to talk to.

Hope this helps,

Thanks blueskye,

These are very good suggestions. I like craft so I may try to do something like that each day. I will find a different counsellor and see if that helps.

Thanks romantic thief,

Yes, I suppose its the commitment that is lacking to improve mental health. But I'm unemployed and its that feeling of guilt when you spend time and money on yourself.

I think that doing some training would help me. I have been housebound for a long time and a stepping stone to work would help. But most of all I would like to meet some like minded people and stay in touch.

Alexlisa
Community Member

Hello Rockdaisy,

It's great that you've reached out here. I know it can be very difficult, especially when dealing with anxiety. I really want to encourage you to try the psychologist path again. I've had Generalised Anxiety Disorder (at times with panic attacks) for a very long time, but I am really grateful to my psychologist for teaching me skills to give me the best chance of having as good a life as I can. It is still unbelievably hard. Every day.

I also am not working and know how you can begin to feel quite trapped by the anxiety. I totally understand that feeling of guilt. But you are able to see a psychologist bulk billed for 10 sessions a year, if you get a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP. Finding a psychologist you 'click with' can take some time, but it is SO worth it. There are real, proven researched skills for managing anxiety, and a psychologist is the person best to learn them from. But it's also so helpful to just have that regular support to express the frustration, guilt and sadness that comes with anxiety. And to give you hope. Which sometimes is so hard to have for yourself.

It's great that you're thinking about changes you'd like to make in your life. I know how overwhelming that can be (and that feeling of just wanting to avoid everything). I recently left a longterm relationship and had to make a lot of changes in my life, which I was completely overwhelmed by. My psychologist helped me break it down, finding 'stepping stones' (like you mentioned). Things are not great in my life, I'm not working and rarely leave the house. But then I'm also kind of proud of what I do have in my life. If that makes sense. Because living with anxiety and panic attacks is SO hard. And we are actually really brave.

Take care x

Hi rockdaisy,

Yeah I hear you; going to therapy can be a big investment.

Can I ask though, what makes it worth it or not worth it? As someone who has been to therapy for years on end, I can say that I don’t regret it - even though it’s an investment. I see therapy in the same way that I see going to a doctor. We want to feel better and we deserve to feel better, so why deprive ourselves of that?

On the money side I will mention to the MHCP (Mental Health Care Plan) which can help cover costs of sessions. Not sure if you are aware of this (or have used it) but it does help.

I also saw that you mentioned craft - maybe that’s something that you can try and do each day? I know in therapy one of the techniques they use is trying to schedule in self-care and enjoyable activities - so it can be a great place to start.