FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I need help

Siera
Community Member

I need help ... are the first words I said when I walked through the door of my parents house. Followed by, can I move in with you as I need help and can't be alone.

This was yesterday and today I lay here knowing I have done the right thing but struggling to deal with my now medically diagnosed anxiety.

I am in my early 30s and know I have become overwhelmed by an ongoing negative toxic work environment and instability. The doctor has prescribed me with benzodiazpenes and anti depressants. Tomorrow I am going back for a referral to a psychologist.

However here I am lieing in bed after just having an anxiety attack after waking up from a bad sleep and wondering how do you manage the anxiety attacks? What do people do? Is there apps that anyone can suggest?

3 Replies 3

Zeal
Community Member

Hey Siera,

Welcome to the forum!

Going to your parents and asking for help was a great move. Living with them while you sort out your mental health will remove extra pressure and responsibilities. Some people avoid opening up and asking for help, and this is problematic. It is fantastic that you can live with family in a supportive household at this time - stability and family support is what you need! The fact that you are proactive about seeking professional help is a major plus, and means that there is a greater chance you will see improvement in your anxiety symptoms sooner rather than later. Getting referred to a psychologist tomorrow is great. You are making smart decisions.

I'd like to provide some online resources (mental health nurse endorsed), which you can refer to. Continuing to see your doctor and starting the psychology sessions is most important. Online resources can provide a little extra self-driven knowledge that can only be beneficial. You may even be able to impress the psychologist with your knowledge! haha

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=44 (panic attack info)

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=46 (anxiety info)

Thanks for posting on the forum. Hopefully I'll hear back from you 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

sagebrush
Community Member

Hi Siera,

Having suffered from severe panic attacks, I know your pain. 

Get to know your triggers and avoid them like the plague.

Moving back home is great, especially if your parents are supportive. If they are, then great.

Cheers

John

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Siera,

Welcome and thank you for having the courage to reach out to your GP.

how do you manage the anxiety attacks? What do people do?

People can learn to manage their anxiety attacks in a variety of different ways. Often learning the trigger for their anxiety can help, and thought challenging - asking yourself questions like - is this thought true? What evidence supports what I am thinking? Am I falling into thinking traps like should statements, black and white thinking or pretending I can read minds?

Learning about anxiety can also be incredibly helpful, and knowing that anxiety attacks are a reaction. They might be exhausting, but they are not dangerous. Knowing how anxiety works in the body can help us understand that anxiety attacks do not need to be feared.

Working on calming our nervous system is also incredibly helpful; this is why people always tell you to 'breathe'. This might be about slowing your breath, breathing techniques, muscle tension and relaxation exercises, meditation, mindfulness exercises, yoga, walking or colouring. The list is endless.

Is there apps that anyone can suggest?

There are so many different apps that people can use! I highly recommend trying out the free ones first until you know what sorts of things that you like, and then paying for an app later if you want to.

Also try to remember that different things work for different people. It can take a little while to find what works for you.

A couple of the apps I recommend are - (I use iOS so not sure about other platforms)

- Calm (This has nature sounds and guided meditations). Smiling Mind, Pacifica and Headspace are also great.

- SAM Self-help for anxiety management

- Any game - doesn't really matter which (words/puzzles/mystery) but the key is to have something that you find distracting.

- A to-do or/and notes app. I find this incredibly useful for either journalling when I don't have a notebook around, challenging my thoughts or writing down things I need to do. I use MoodNotes for thought challenging but CBT Thought Record Diary is free and has the same purpose. I also use Wunderlist for to-do's.