FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help please! What is this?

JJ_
Community Member

Hey,

I used this once before and you wonderful people helped me understand that I actually had OCD. So I’m hoping you can help again.

I’ve had GAD and panic disorder for 9 years now. I used to get breathless from the moment I woke up, to when I fell asleep. Obviously that’s concerning so I got checked, blood, heart X-rays the lot. Was just diagnosed with severe anxiety. So obviously since then I’ve just dealt with this on and off breathing issue while also on medication. (Just knowing that is was because of my anxiety)

The medication has helped, I only get small Bursts of breathlessness where I need to breathe deep etc

BUT,

It’s been 9 years now that this breathlessness has been running and I’m just getting more concerned as I go.. I do know I have anxiety but what if this is actually physical??

I just want to know if anyone else have had this problem or similar?

Because I don’t see the point in going back for a full body physical check up if I had one at the peak of my mental illness and nothing came back.

I really don’t want to live breathless for ever.

and if it is anxiety which is HIGHLY probable cause I’m not dead yet of physical health. Any tips on what I should do?

Go back and change up my meds? Etc

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JJ

Really good to have you posting with us again 🙂

Good on you for being proactive and being on the meds. I understand where you are coming from as I have been on meds for a long time as a result of my anxiety too

I wont go into breathing techniques at the moment as it wont be helpful. Can I ask you how often you are seeing your GP (or a psychologist)for support with your anxiety? The reason I ask is that the meds do provide us with a solid platform to heal yet aren't a fix all unfortunately. Having regular counseling (I see my GP every 4 weeks for a tune up) with the meds does provide us with a greater peace of mind

I have also had the tight breathing you mentioned as well JJ. Just for me it turned out to be the adrenaline tightening up the chest muscles as a result of the anxiety condition

if you have any questions I hope you can ask 🙂

You are not alone JJ

my kind thoughts

Paul

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi JJ,

Thanks for your post!

Hm.. well as we aren't doctors I don't think you should be taking any medical advice from anyone here! But what I can tell you is this.

1. It might be anxiety.

2. It might be something else.

Welcome my friend to health anxiety - where we have anxiety over the idea that what we are feeling isn't anxiety.

The first step can always be to see a GP. It is not silly and it is important to rule out anything else that can be causing these symptoms. The trick though is to trust your GP on their diagnosis or conclusion. If they do say that it is health anxiety, is this something you can get onboard with?

I'm also super interested to know what you've been doing so far to manage this anxiety. Is there any techniques you've been using to help with the breathlessness?