FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Getting through anxiety relapses

TheatreGal
Community Member

Hello 🙂

I’m new to these forums but not new to anxiety. I have experienced 3 significant bouts of anxiety in my life: the first at 16, another in my early 20s (when I first went on an SSRI) and this third, which struck a few months ago, as I rapidly approach the big 4-0.

I don’t know exactly what triggered my latest bout. Just general, ongoing, modern life stress that I neglected to address. The anxiety hit swiftly and packed a real punch. Cue time off work, my Mum moving in with me, adjustments to the amount of my long-term SSRI plus addition of another anti-anxiety medication, lots of crying and my first ever trip in an ambulance to the ER!

I have an amazing support network and over the past few months have been piecing things back together.

Then this week the anxiety really welled up again. I wasn’t expecting it and I’m working on it, but I just wanted to reach out to others who’ve been in this position.

How best did you manage the relapses? How do you fight the feelings of failing and generally being discouraged? How hard did you push yourself to get back to “normal” again?

Appreciate any and all tips and general positive vibes! 🙂

10 Replies 10

Hi Tim,

Good to hear from you again, with your insights and own experience. It does make sense that there might be a slump after speaking to a Psychologist. The sessions are so positively focused (of course!) that you can’t help but feel buoyed at the time. Then later, reality.

I keep reminding myself that it’s okay to take time, small steps are fine, no big leaps required.

I love listening to music but prefer not to when I walk. I’m fortunate to live in an area with some lovely walking tracks/bike paths that are away from roads, so I like to listen to the sounds of nature. I find if the negative thoughts start to intrude, it helps to focus on the sound of birds - and distract myself by trying to find them. Some of them are very good at hiding in the trees and therefore provide quality distraction time!

Both my parents are great support - it sounds like yours are too. It must be so difficult for them to see their children (even the adult ones) struggling. They tell me I mustn’t worry about them worrying about me, as that’s their job!

Anyway, celebrating my small success today of a quick trip to the grocery store and a brisk walk outdoors, despite feeling anxious about doing both. It’s the little things!